2008 Nissan Altima - Good deal?

How many miles does this car last for and is it worth ut to buy one for $3000.00 at 168,000 miles. The car is in great shape but need more info. Cant afford to get a car that’ll break down in a year and should last about 5 years.

Who knows, as you said you need more info, such as the service history. You also need it inspected by an independent mechanic, expect that to cost around $100-150.

5 Likes

There is not an answer to that question .

3 Likes

Maybe I’m biased, but generally folks looking at cars in that mileage and price range lean towards Toyota is reliability is the main objective.

2 Likes

How long this car will last depends on what kind of shape it’s really in and how you take care of the car. Could be a good car but without an inspection and knowing service history it’s a gamble.

3 Likes

It’s worth $400 if it runs. You won’t find one at that price but you can find a similar car for a lot less than $3,000. If you can’t; wait a week and look again.

It’s 13 years old with high miles and even with a thorough inspection there is no guarantee the car will be problem free. It simply ain’t possible.

2 Likes

Was that confirmed by a qualified mechanic, or are you basing that statement on its appearance?

Even a mechanic who can inspect it could not give you a definitive answer.

1 Like

They were known for weak trans. It’s 168k now. I don’t think it will go 5 yrs without issues. 168k-225k is getting into major component failure area for a Nissan.

3 Likes

After 13 years/168k miles of use and probably unknown maintenance, it will require a lot of repairs over the next few years. If you spend a lot of money on repairs it might last for another 5 years, but… at what cost?

4 Likes

Maybe he won’t drive much? Problem avoided.

It’s rated a “clunker” on carcomplaints, lots of transmission (CVT) problems:
2008 Nissan Altima Problems, Defects & Complaints (carcomplaints.com)

I’d avoid it, and all Altimas of that age.

4 Likes

You didn’t say what trim level, transmission, sedan or coupe, or provide any options. I assumed a 4 door sedan with CVT in SE trim, and in clean condition. It’s worth about $2000 according the the Edmunds True Market Value tool. As for how long it lasts, that depends on how many miles you drive per year and the current condition. Things start going wrong at the mileage, and you should consider them maintenance, not repairs. I’m thinking about brake calipers, rammer hoses, belts, and bushings at least. Get it checked by a mechanic you trust for about $125 if you really are interested. I would look at something with around 100,000 to 125,000 miles in your price range. Expect a compact car for $3000.

1 Like

We loved ours, but the transaxle had to be replaced under warranty at 60K miles. It went another 70K without problem until we sold it and the kid who bought it wrecked it within a week. No other significant problems with the car.

I would not buy this car, especially for the quoted price. For $3k, get a used Toyota Corolla or Toyota Camry instead.

2 Likes

Don’t fall in love with a car before you own it. Check with Blue Book and Nada and some of the top used car advisors. Consumers is a good source also. Do your homework!
I once helped a college friend with a van he wanted to buy. It had an engine overheating problem. I tried to talk him out of it but he had put a $30 deposit on it which the seller wouldn’t give back. So he threw good money after bad and ended up junking the van.
So just remember the words of Dirty Harry,’ Do you feel lucky. Well do you,punk?’

The OP asked the question of how many miles does this car last for.
On a Nissan forum a few years ago a young lady bought a brand new 2013 model. Not once did she ever have the oil changed nor did she ever raise the hood to check anything. At a shade over 20k miles the engine seized up.
It was towed to the Nissan dealer who rightfully denied any warranty coverage. Even after being told by 15 or so forum members this was on her she refused to accept that premise and stated that “if Nissan built good engines it should not need the oil changed or checked”.
So the answer to the question in her case is 20ish thousand miles…

All depends upon the person whose name is on the title.

6 Likes

Home work on an 13 year old 3000.00 vehicle ? Those type of vehicles have such a wide range of value that the online price sites are really no help. Consumer Reports is also a waste of time. That kind of vehicle could have had many of the reported problems solved or none of them solved .

Given the age of the vehicle and the limited lifespan of the Nissan CVTs of that era, I think it is very likely that the trans has been replaced. Perhaps it has been replaced twice.
:thinking:

The kind of wear that generation of Nissan’ CVTs had was very much dependent on how heavy-footed the prior owner was.
The main wear is on the pulley’s internal mechanics, not on the chain/pulley surfaces.
Nissan made these pulleys quite fragile to the high-torque conditions, so eventually they disintegrate, shredding the steel belt.

My daughters’ Altima was 2007 vintage and made it into 125K miles or so on the original transmission, but eventually showed signs it “got tired”, so she disposed of it before the hard failure developed, which would also take probably another 20-30K miles.
I drove my 2012 Altima to pretty much similar mileage to the first signs of CVT wear, and also decided I do not want to test my luck.

I could image Nissan’s CVT could go for that ~170K miles on the original transmission if gently driven, but no way I would ever consider one for the purchase, it’s a ticking bomb.

1 Like