2008 Ford Focus starting issues

So for a couple weeks my car has been having issues starting. When I turn the key initially it will do nothing sometimes, take a second to start sometimes, and start almost normally sometimes. It seems to be at it’s worse when I leave it for longer periods, such as after work or overnight. What happens most is that I turn the key and nothing happens for a moment, then it starts to turn over, and after a few seconds of struggling to start it turns over. It hasn’t gotten worse yet, but i’d like to hear from the more knowledgeable before I go to a mechanic. I appreciate your help!

The next time the vehicle sits for a while, turn the ignition switch to the run position so the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off.

Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine.

If the engine starts right up, there’s a problem with the anti drain-back valve on the fuel pump assembly.

Tester

Time for a new battery, my guess. Many auto parts stores will test it for free and install a new one for the cost of the battery.

Do you mean it doesn’t immediately start to crank, there’s a few small delay between when you turn the key to “start” and that “rrr rrr rrr” sound happens? And that delay is sometimes even longer if you haven’t driven the car in a couple days?

That’s usually an indication of a problem with the starter motor or the electric power to the starter motor. Starter motors are electric motors that consume huge amounts of current, 100 amps or more. So all the connections between the battery and the starter motor, and the ignition switch and the starter motor, they all have to be near perfect, otherwise this can result. The most likely cause is either a battery on the fritz, or the battery connections have loosened over time or become slightly corroded. There’s other possibilities, but that’s the first place to check. This problem will likely become much worse with colder weather, so if winter is approaching where you live, suggest not to defer this.

Thanks a bunch guys, i’ll check this stuff out today and report back after work. Appreciate it!

dominion1080: you still haven’t clarified the symptoms. See the post by GeorgeSanJose above. Does that or does that not describe the problem?

(your original post is ambiguous)

Sorry about that. It seems to get worse the longer I leave it, but I use it daily, so I can’t comment on it being worse after a couple days. It seems to struggle to start after a couple hours of being off, with it taking a bit longer the more time it’s off. It does make the harsh starting sound if it’s off for a while, but only sometimes. One thing I forgot to mention is that I have a problem getting the key in. Could it be the key/ignition?

dominion1080: If you want help, please clarify your problem.

repeating from above:
Do you mean it doesn’t immediately start to crank, there’s a few small delay between when you turn the key to “start” and that “rrr rrr rrr” sound happens? And that delay is sometimes even longer if you haven’t driven the car in a couple days?

How old is the battery? How clean are the battery cables? Key should not be the problem if it’s turning over, but one day you will be stranded by the key problem.