Startup Problem

My truck has trouble starting:

Once it has been sitting for around 12 hours it takes forever to get it started…sometimes 20 minutes of just turning the ignition and hearing it catch, but not start.

Once it’s started if it is idle for less than an hour it stars up on the first try. After an hour it takes a few tries to start it up…at about 4 hours it seems to take 15 or so tries to start.

It seems this should be ridiculously cheap to fix (I’d guess that the fuel isn’t being pressurized correctly)…and since I’m out of a job I’d like to find a quick way to diagnose the problem: I’ve wrenches and drivers, but no hoses, gauges, computer thingy, etc. Also, I let it sit for a weekend and now it seems like it won’t start at all. So, how can I diagnose whether or not it’s something simple for cheap?

Sorry, I meant to say that I’d guess that the fuel isn’t keeping pressurization and is having trouble getting re-pressurized to start the engine.

The anti-drain back valve in the fuel pump assembly might be defective. The next time you know this hard starting is going to occur, turn the ignition switch to the run position so that the dash lights come on for two seconds, and then turn the ignition switch off. Repeat this a half dozen times and then try starting the engine. If the engine starts with no problem, it’s the anti-drain back valve causing the hard starting.

Tester

Nope, that wasn’t it.