2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser - Should I get a refurbished PCM?

Check engine light comes on sometimes, p0700 code, especially when it is hot outside (Tucson, AZ). The mechanic thought it was the TIPM and I had it replaced. Of course, the light came back on and it turned out to be the PCM. $1025 was the quoted part for the price. Should a refurbished PCM?

If you can get a warranty on the refurbished part might be worth the gamble.

P0700 indicates that there is a fault detected by the companion module, for your vehicle that would be the Transmission Control Module. The PCM and TCM are combined into one module for this vehicle however you need a scan tool that allows you to choose PCM or TCM to read the faults in each computer. Replacing the PCM may not solve the problem, warranty or not.

2 Likes

“Throwing parts” at a problem, especially expensive ones, is seldom a winning strategy. The best strategy is proper and complete diagnosis by a competent technician.

@Nevada_545 is a competent professional technician/mechanic and of course he doesn’t have this vehicle in front of him to check out, but still he gives excellent advice from his knowledge and experience. I’d listen.

P0700 Code: Meaning, Causes, and Symptoms | OBD2 Codes (obd2-codes.co)

It could be that, but maybe not. A man has to ask himself, "Are you feeling lucky? (1,000 bucks worth?) Well are you?"
CSA
:palm_tree: :sunglasses: :palm_tree:

1 Like

Take the car to a competent independent transmission shop. Your mechanic doesn’t know what he or she is doing.

Is it the same mechanic who misdiagnosed the TIPM as bad that now tells you it is the PCM?

He has already demonstrated he is not a diagnostician. He just throws parts at a problem until it is fixed or the customer goes somewhere else.

By the way, I had two different mechanics on two different cars tell me I needed a new computer and both times the mechanics were wrong, The first time involved an 87 Plymouth Reliant 2.5 that was stalling in damp cold 32- 45 degrees. A new computer was over $1000 and not returnable. I talked to my Chrysler dealer who said a rebuilt computer was only $400 and if did not fix the problem, they would just put it back in stock and only charge me 1/2 hour labor. This was in 1993. I was going to go with the dealers suggestion when I noticed my 1987 Plymouth Caravelle 2.2 had the same part number on the computer so I just swapped the computers and the problem stayed with the Reliant.

The problem turned out to be icing in the throttle body, I read a tip about it and removed the duct and saw the ice.

3 Likes

not sure what the TIPM cost you, but tossing another $1000 at an 08 PT Cruiser is a pretty big gamble.

I’d be seeking a second opinion.

4 Likes

When the mechanic starts talking about “replacing the computer”…generally it means either:

A. He doesn’t know what the problem is.

and/or

B. He wants you to go away or scare you off with an outrageous price.

Find another mechanic.

3 Likes

I’m joining the crowd here. PCM’s don’t really fail very often, but they are frequently diagnosed as the issue by incompetent mechanics.

They CAN fail though and if a competent mechanic can accurately prove that it did fail, then I would prefer a reman to a new one. PCMs that actually fail usually develop a history of a specific component that is the root cause. The reman people will generally upgrade that component and any other known weaknesses in the PCM and correct them as well. The reman will outlast a new one.