2008 Chevrolet Impala - Transmission issues

So, I have a 2008 Chevy Impala and am now fully aware that the transmissions in these are horrible. My specific issue is that all my gears work except for Drive, my reverse is good 1st 2nd and 3rd all work the only way I got it home was by shifting manually (1st, 2nd, then 3rd) I got lucky and once I got to a certain speed the drive gear would kick in. Please if anyone can help me figure this out, I would greatly appreciate the help!

Best bet, take your Impala to the best transmission shop in town and get the problem assessed by a pro. First test they’ll probably do is measure the trans fluid pressure. If you want to try something more simple that might help, change out the transmission fluid. If that helps, but not enough, try driving for a 100 miles, then change it again. If configured so it is easy to do, on both change-outs, replace the transmission filter at the same time.

Automatic transmissions require very high fluid pressures to produce the force needed to shift the gears. If the internal seals leak from chamber to chamber they can’t produce the necessary psi. New fluid contains fresh seal conditioner chemicals.

1 Like