2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 cylinder engins

I’m thinking about buying a 2007 Chrysler Sebring 4 cylinder and was told that there has been trouble with the engins. Is this true?

I don’t know about the engines, but the Sebring is one of the worst cars available. Pretty much any car is a better choice. Unless you like transmission, interior, drivetrain, suspension, and electrical problems. And perhaps engine problems.

Get something, anything, else. Don’t waste your money.

I agree with lproctor.

Every magazine test of the Sebring has resulted in expressions such as, “Better choices abound”. Unless you crave the unique air-conditioned cup holders (one of the most dubious features I have ever seen), I would suggest that you keep shopping for a car, as there is really nothing to recommend about a Chrysler Sebring.

I was supplied the 4 cylinder version of the Dodge equivalent for a business trip. I thought the car was rather noisy when accelerating on the interstate. You might go to the CarTalk information section of the website and see what other opinions are on this vehicle.

A couple of important considerations:

1. How will you use this car? Long trips, commuting, around town, etc.
  2. Does the price of the car seem to make it a good deal?
  3. How many miles do you go a year and how long do you keep a car?
  4. Assuming the car will be under a warranty, what is the reputation of the dealer for service?
  5. Most importantly, how do you like the car?

By necessity, I drive a minivan. I purchased a 2006 Chevrolet Uplander in May of 2006. The Uplander had been a program car. Consumer Report’s recommendation for a minivan was either the Toyota Sienna or the Honda minivan. The Uplander is at the bottom of Consumer Report’s list. However, the Uplander as a program car was half the price of the Toyota or Honda minivans. The service department of the dealer took care of a gas gauge problem–it needed a new sender–under the warranty the next day after the problem occured. I’ve had no other problems. Most importantly, the Uplander is comfortable for me to drive and fits my needs. (If I didn’t need a minivan and didn’t have back problems, I would have a Mazda Miata or a MiniCooper).

Check to see if the Chrysler fits your needs and how it matches up with competing cars. I imagine that there is probably a way to rent a Chrysler Sebring or the equivalent Dodge model. It might be a good investment to rent one for a couple of days and really see what you think.

sorry, what is a “program car”?

Apparently, they are cars used by employees of the company for a specified period of time and then sold through dealers. These vehicles come with the balance of the warranty, so I decided to take a chance. Mine had about 15,000 miles and I am just about to turn 36,000. If it is going to fall apart, I hope it does it in the next 120 miles.

I hope the dealer’s description of a “program car” is accurate and it wasn’t a vehicle loaned to the railroad to drive up and down the tracks to do spike testing, or a vehicle leased out to a New York City cab fleet.

Program cars include former rental cars. Fleet vehicles. Lease returns usually say lease returns.

Program car=Formal rental car.

The new Chrysler 4 cyl engines are actually produced in a joint venture with Mitsubishi and Hyundai. The 2.4L in the Sebring is the same as the one in the Sonata. I am not aware of any issues with these engines. The Sebring has not received great reviews, but a new one comes with a powertrain warranty for life, which none of its competitors do.

Just to add, Chrysler has been tied up with Mitsubishi for about 30 years give or take. If it uses the 2.4, or a variant of it, that engine has been around a while and has been used on various other Chrysler models, Jeep, Plymouth, and Mitsubishi (Eclipse, Galant, etc.).

My daughter has previously owned a Mitsu. with the 2.4 and currently owns one with that engine and no problems with either one. The current one has about a 145k or so on it. My son’s fiancee has a Dodge Caliber with the 2.4 and has not had any trouble out of it yet and I assume the Sebring uses the same engine.

I’m not familiar with the overall reliability of the car. JMHO, but I’m not a fan of late model Chryslers other than the Viper.

“a new one comes with a powertrain warranty for life”

Since it appears that Chrysler itself is currently on life-support, I am a bit skeptical of how many years this “life-time” warranty would actually be good for.

Agree with most posters. The engine is probably the BEST part of this car. I actually enjoy renting these cars, since they are quiet, and easy to park. However, I would never buy one.