2003 Chrysler Sebring - Are there recalls?

Is there a recall for Chrysler Sebring 2003 transmission.
Automatic transmission has to be replaced after 113000 miles.
It does not go into 4th gear. cost me 3000.00

I have performed recalls on 2005 Chrysler 300’s to correct a problem with the park mechanism. A transmission with a malfunctioning park position is a safety issue.

A recall for a Chrysler Sebring to guaranty the life of the transmission beyond 20 years? No. Cheap cars are not expected to last more than 10 to 15 years. If you get one more year of use from this car for only $3000 you are doing alright, any late model car will depreciate in value by that amount in one year.

3 Likes

$3000 to repair the automatic transmission seems pretty reasonable. Provided the job is guaranteed for at least a year/12,000 miles. If repair is done well enough that it works ok for a year, the transmission will likely work ok for another 10 years. If the rest of the car has been well maintained, I’d say to go ahead on the transmission repair. It will be much more expensive and time consuming to purchase another car.

1 Like

Go to the NHTSA web site and check.

There are no recalls for your Sebring related to the transmission.

1 Like

Improper maintenance is the most likely cause of transmission failure: using wrong fluid or not changing it frequently enough. These transmissions are somewhat delicate and won’t stand up to any abuse.

No amount of changing out the transmission fluid is going to off set the poor quality of parts and or design in a lot of these transmissions… A lot of spool valves wearing out the bores causing loss of pressure and such… snap rings breaking, solenoids failing, etc etc… Heat kills a lot of transmissions also… Changing the fluid is always a good thing but some transmissions are just prone to fail… lol
The amount of TSB’s and updates on the original 440-T4’s & 700R4’s was just Ridiculous…

The OP’s vehicle had 5 different possible engines and at least 3 transmissions possibility’s
If I new which tranny OP had I could tell you the common issues with it…