2006 Volvo S60 suspension noise

My feeling is that if things are exactly as related the first shop should refund your money.

They replaced the struts. This brings up the question of whether or not they used Quick Struts which are complete, ready to bolt in units.
If the upper mounts broke on new Quick Struts due to a manufacturing defect (unlikely) or poor installation they should warranty that for you.

If they changed the strut cartridges only then one has to wonder why in the hxxx they swapped bad strut mounts over onto the new cartridges. They should owe you for that reason.

I cannot in my wildest imaginations envision how anyone could possibly swap out front struts with the top mounts broken and not notice. It just doesn’t make sense. Something clearly wasn’t right at the first shop. Or there’s more to the story than told (NOTE: I am NOT suggesting that the OP did anything wrong or withheld information, only that something doesn’t make sense and I can’t help but wonder what it is).

However, getting justice may not be possible. I commend anyone willing to fight for justice in this situation (after the car is repaired properly elsewhere), but I also respect the decision of anyone who just wants to move on and consider it the cost of an education, the lesson being to never frequent that shop’s doorstep again.

Whatever, if I were the OP I’d make sure the entire town knew the story.