2006 Toyota Sienna - Timing belt

I have a 2006 Toyota Van with 75K. The manual says to change the timing belt at 100K OR 10 years. When should I change the belt? Also should the water pump be replaced at the same time? Any other advice?

3 years ago

Yes

9 Likes

You should change it at the sooner of the two events. So years ago as stated above. Here is some info and philosophy on timing belts inf interested.

That seems to be clear enough so why the question.

3 Likes

Is this a trick question?

I would almost bet it says 10 yrs or 100K miles WHICH EVER COMES FIRST.

1 Like

Just like motor oil or trans fluid change intervals, I always feel there is more to it than time or miles.
Extreme cold or heat, any coolant or oil leaks or vapors etc, all have an effect on belt life.

Many tire manufacturers state that 6 or 7 years is the point at which tires can become unsafe. There’s no reason to think that a rubber timing belt subjected to more heat than tires should get a pass on longevity. Just my 2 cents anyway.

The correct way to replace a T belt is to replace ALL of the rotating assemblies under the timing belt cover.

This would be the T belt, the T belt tenstioner, the idler bearing and the water pump…also all the seals under that cover as well. As failure of any of these replaceable components cant destroy and take out your new timing belt prematurely.

This is how real mechanics do a T belt. They sell kits that include everything for this…sometimes the kits are complete…sometimes they need supplementing. Either way, replace everything under the T belt cover and you will have no problems.

2 Likes

+1
The mfr’s maintenance schedule almost surely includes the “whichever comes first” proviso, but–for reasons that I don’t understand–a LOT of people can’t seem to comprehend those very important words.

1 Like

Most people seek a second opinion when they receive information that they do not find palatable (read expensive). As if the discussion with others will either relieve this un-palatability or make the point moot in the discussion of the topic.

However, when it comes to scheduled maintenance with clearly defined parameters… You cannot use the tactic of discussing the issue away with a friend …it simply is what it is and that is that.

Some cannot come to terms with this fact and still seek the opinions of others.

There was a well known psychological study done in Sweden on this in the 80’s…its called the “Ivanka talkavay de probalem psychosis” Very well known study it was…

2 Likes

Just do the right thing. Buy an OEM Denso (best quality made in Japan) timing belt KIT which included the timing belt, water pump, idler, pulleys, tensioner, etc. Not too expensive and you will be able to sleep knowing the entire system was changed. Don’t be cheap, do it right. By the way, to change the timing belt you need to remove all the items mentioned, so why only change one item?

Agree either follow the recomendations or risk being stranded and or possibly replacing an engine. Or third option is before buying the vehicle make sure it doesn’t have a timing belt that has to be replaced .Generally chains will last the life of the vehicle .

But you have to be careful there, because some vehicles use plastic chain guides, and if those break then you’re still in trouble.

1 Like

Hi NielKempe:
As others have noted, I would change it if I were you. The cost of the timing belt breaking on the highway is too high of a risk for me.

Many drivers focus only on the mileage and ignore the “time” requirement and get away with it (i.e. the belt does just fine). Others are not so fortunate.

Yes, but, even in those vehicles that don’t have plastic chain guides, chain failure is possible if somebody decides to use “extended” oil change intervals.

1 Like

This, of course, depends on what kind of car you drive, and how far away from home you drive it. If you are a person who takes long trips, or if your car has an interference engine, then a failed timing belt is likely to be very expensive. In that case, it makes sense to adhere strictly to the time and mileage recommendations.

If you know for certain that your engine is non-interference, and you only use the car to drive within a 50-mile radius from home, then it might make sense to save your money and see how long it lasts. Lots of people do this, and get away with it. Worst case, the belt fails, you have to pay for a tow, but other than the cost of having it towed home/to a shop, no real harm is done.

… unless the belt snaps when you are in the left lane in the midst of speeding 18-wheelers, or in a dodgy part of town at night, or when you are crossing RR tracks, or…

1 Like

You can do that if you want to but giving that as advice is irresponsible .

4 Likes

There is conflicting information out there on whether the 3.3L engine in NielKempe’s 2006 Sienna is an interference type.

Is there any way to tell by looking if an engine is interference.? . My wife had a 2000 6 cyl. dodge srtatus the shop we used at the time said it was some one else we knew had the same car & the shop they used said it was not.