Timing Belt

I have a toyota sienna 2002 ce, 90k miles. When should I change timing belt and what else is recommended to replace at this time?

My best guess is that the timing belt is supposed to be changed at 105k miles or 105 months, whichever comes first. But, why take my word for it, or the word of any other random strangers? You should follow the recommendations of the people who designed and built your vehicle, and their guidelines are contained in the maintenance schedule which can be found in your Owner’s Manual.

The manufacturer’s maintenance schedule, which should be sitting in your glove compartment, covers all of this information.

The change interval for my wife’s 2006 Sienna with the 3.3 V6 (interference) is 7yr/90k miles. The 2002 has the 3.0 V6, which I believe is a non-interference motor. Based on the Edmunds maintenance schedule for a 2002 Sienna the change interval is also 90k miles.

http://www.edmunds.com/maintenance/detail.html?year=2002&make=Toyota&model=Sienna&styleId=100003139&engCode=6VNAG3.0&transCode=AUTOMATIC&mileage=0&zip=08234

As VDC pointed out the maintenance schedule in the Owner’s manual is the final authority.

Consider having the water pump, tensioner, and related seals replaced along with the belt.

Ed B.

Your timing belt is due by age.

At a minimum I would change out automatic transmission fluid also.

It’s all in your owner’s manual.

We all presume he/she has it. I have yet to buy a used car that included it.

Really, Andrew? I have yet to buy a car that didn’t include an owner’s manual. If I did, I would buy one. Check this out: http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_trksid=p3907.m570.l1313&_nkw=2002+toyota+sienna+owners+manual&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Your Sienna has the 3.0-liter 1MZ-FE V6 engine.
The timing belt for that, needs changed at 7yrs or 90k miles WHICHEVER comes first. That means you are already overdue, based on time.

Although not necessary, in general, it is best to change the water pump and drive belts at the same time. I always do that on my cars. You are basically only paying for the new parts-water pump and drive belts, since the labor is already covered into the timing belt removal and install.
Shop around for a “Timing belt Package” which includes also at least the water pump and drive belts. Also make sure to inquire what type of waterpump do they include in that package-“brand new” or a remanufactured one. Choose the location with the “brand new” waterpump, even if it is marginally more expensive.

A friend of mine had this done for his 1998 Sienna at a Toyota Dealer for $682 out the door, about a month ago.