2006 Subaru Legacy - er55 or erSS

2nd question on this.

ErSS code is displayed and will not go away. Same code the goes off if you plow through a snow bank and the speed sensors get wet.

Sensors are not wet and are clean and seem to be good.

As a result, ABS light is on and cruise control never works while these codes are lit up.

Diagnostic from a Sullivan Tire in portland Maine, told me it was a sensor in the sest track, but after much research this is almost certainly not a correct assessment.

I dont want to spend $6-700 replacing speed sensors if it isnt necessary.

I have already spent $150 on a diagnostic that got it wrong.

Car has 186K miles and also needs another $500

Wondering if i just give up, with all the unknowns

So what’s the first question???

Yosemite

This is where you are falling short. You need to determine if indeed one of the wheel speed sensors is failing and why. Could be that cheap magnetic strip they used or the sensor. It’s unlikely that it will magically disappear, you have to investigate or pay someone to do it. Understand you may be gunshy after some idiot thinks it’s a seat track sensor but simply waiting it out isn’t working… :wink:

Previous post. Question was more about seat track.

If this is a vehicle you need to depend on daily I would just say trade it in, If not I would drive it jus like it is until it dies.
But really only you and who ever is involved can make a decision like this.

Some people have discussed this on Subaru message boards and the speed sensors are mentioned often. Probably best to pull the actual codes in the hope that it could be more specific as to the possible problem.

I’m not familiar with the Subie Seat Track feature, so can’t offer much help on that. wheel speed sensor problems are best diagnosed with the Subie scan tool. The shop will put it on a lift and hand spin each wheel and look at the scan tool display result. That will usually show which – if any – of the sensors is faulty. If you are a diy’er, crawl under each wheel and make sure all the sensors are connected to the wiring harness robustly. If you want to play scientist its usually possible to connect an ac volt meter to a sensor and spin the wheel by hand to see if it is producing a voltage signal or not. The sensors operate on the principle of magnetic induction and are usually just a small coil of wire that produce an ac voltage in the millivolt range as the magnet in the hub gadget whirls past the sensor as the wheel spins.