2006 Subaru Impreza - Manual Tranny Problem

going from 1st gear to 2nd something poped & now it will not go in gear.

If you’d like a reasonable guess as to your problem, it would help tremendously if you at least posted if this was a manual transmission or automatic. Then tell us how many miles on it. Might also help if we know if it is AWD or FWD.

My wild guess is that the transmission just failed and will cost you thousands to install a remanufactured one.

Manual transmission AWD 90.000 miles

I have a couple more questions… Now it won’t go in any gear, engine running? And/or engine off?

Is the shifter really wobbly now?

Engine running & shifter is lobby

Subaru has had some issue with synchronizer assemblies but I tend to think this may be a gear shift lever problem.

You need to get the car raised up and look at the lever assembly.
Repairing a Subaru manual transmission requires a number of specialty tools and knowledge as to how to avoid a few pitfalls so knock on wood that it’s the lever and not the trans.

1 Like

Agree with @ok4450 hopefully a shifter problem.

Check with the engine off, too. If it feels like it js going in gear, it may be something in the clutch. In any event, you need a look under the car.

Does the shifter go through all the gates but the transmission just not go into gear? If so, you might try removing the ball on top of the shifter, then the boot and finally the cover to see if the plastic ball used in the linkage at the bottom of the stick is shot.