02 Subie manual transmission problem -- potentially

Hello, I have a 2002 Subaru legacy 5-speed – the shift lever jumps back and forth on engine acceleration and deceleration, respectively. However this is not in first and second gears ? only 3, 4, and 5. It shifts smoothly and does not pop out of gear. In fact one would not notice it unless you rested your hand on the lever (which I don’t do) or watched it while pressing and releasing the accelerator pedal.

Does anyone know what this might be? There are no drivability problems right now, but I?m wondering if I should solve this problem sooner rather than later.

Have someone check the engine and transmission mounts. If it is not excessive, it would be normal. Some movement is eexpected.

This kind of problem is usually caused by a faulty or loose pitching stopper, which is a top center mount. This is not exactly for your application but should give you a general idea. It’s the widget in the middle.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Subaru-Impreza-WRX-GC-GD-Engine-Transmission-Mount_W0QQitemZ300215369098QQcmdZViewItem