2006 Honda CRV Rear Brake Issue. (Horribly uneven wear)

Here In Rust Country Central If A Car Parks For More Than A Day Or Two The Pads Can Corrode/Adhere To the Caliper/Carrier Rails.

Do you grease the pins the pads slide on? That usually prevents the rust from forming.

@GEG, the reason I mentioned pay is because my impression was that you got paid by the hour or salary; all depending.

At the dealerships the mechanics don’t have the luxury of getting a guaranteed per hour or salary pay plan. They work on flat rate which means they only get paid for the job at hand which pays X amount of hours according to the book.

This also means that not only does any disruption cause the pay clock to stop instantly it also disrupts the train of thought.

Trust me on this, but flat rate mechanics can be a volatile bunch at times with good reason because of too many brief unpaid vacations during each work day.
That 5 minutes the mechanic is standing there waiting upon a customer to decide on a repair or standing at the parts counter hoping the parts dept. personnel will move a little faster is all done for free.

If I got interrupted 18 times a day for “only 5 minutes” to even do a quick code pull you know how long that would last? Two days; because on the second day if this crap continued my tool box would be headed to the door. And it has a few times…

@MikeInNH
"Do you grease the pins the pads slide on? That usually prevents the rust from forming."

No! I don’t have any vehicles with pads that slide on pins. I do know how to service brakes (I’ve done dozens of brake replacements) and always grease the pins the calipers slide on and the rails that the pads slide on, too. I don’t have any problems with the GM brakes because they have stainless steel rail covers. However, I have had problems on Chryslers, that don’t have them.

Are these Asian cars set up differently? I wouldn’t know.
CSA

Almost all mechanics in the US get paid flat-rate

The majority of the ones that get paid by the hour are some sort of public service and/or fleet employees

one of the things that is most infuriating is when you’re required . . . because the service manager says do it, or you’re fired . . . to perform those free multi-point inspections, which actually amount to a small service, minus the oil change

If you’re honest and actually do all of the things on the checklist, you can EASILY spend more than 1/2 hour doing it. And like I said, it’s free. The dealer does not compensate the mechanic in any way.

The rationale is that you’re drumming up work for the dealer and informing the customer of the condition of the car and current and/or possibly upcoming problems. In reality, it’s more of the former

Savvy customers decline and take your detailed “recommendations sheet” and go elsewhere for a second opinion. If anything truly does merit repair/replacement, the customer will have it done at that second shop with a much lower labor rate, and they’ll use lower priced aftermarket parts

Almost all mechanics in the US get paid flat-rate

That really depends on the part of the country you live in. Here in NH and Northern MA…I’d say it’s split between hourly wage and flat-rate among dealers. Most independents pay hourly wage.

I can say this about auto mechanics and flat-rate. I doubt there is any other profession out there–blue collar or white collar–in which the employees would tolerate such a pay system. Being required to be at work yet not getting paid for it, being directed to do work yet having no control over the hours earned, having to supply tools and equipment to do your daily tasks.

I’ve been on both sides. I was successful as a flat-rater years ago, and I am once again, but for the 8 years I ran my own place I paid my help hourly.

we know that now…didnt know it then
Seriously…reading comprehension is your friend.

You should take a dose of the medicine you’re doling out MY FRIEND. I said it at least TWICE now. It’s not serious unless the light is BLINKING.
You’d be better off spending your time reading the manual that came with the car instead of blather on-and-on here about a non-issue…

Many sales jobs you don’t get paid unless you make a sale. It could be 10 sales calls before you make a sale.

Many sales jobs you don’t get paid unless you make a sale. It could be 10 sales calls before you make a sale

True, but working on commission is vastly different from flat rate. Auto mechanics have quite a physically and financially demanding job in addition to the politics.

If the job isn’t rewarding enough…then find other wirk. I worked as a mechanic part time and during the summer when going to college. I knew I didn’t want to do this as a career. There are many other occupations to pursue.

And I’m still doing it, because I like wrenching

Seen a lot of guys come and go over the years, for various reasons