Honda rear brake wear

Hello. I have a 2002 Honda CR-V EX 4 speed, 4 wheel drive.

A little history on the rear brakes. Original pads lasted 23000 miles, 2nd set 34770 miles, 3rd set 16943 miles, 4th set including rotors lasted 10085 miles. Calipers have been either cleaned and lubed or replaced with each rear brake service. At last replacement the brake hose was fine and fuel mileage has been normal since. In the meantime front pads have only been replaced at 52265 miles.

Is this frequent rear brake service in comparison to front brake service common among CR-V owners? Any recommendations on what brand of rotors and pads to use in future for longer life?

Are you doing this work, or are you paying someone to do the work for you?
What is the thickness of the pad material in mm’s when it is brand new, and how many mm’s are left when you are replacing the pads?

If the pads are only 4mm’s thick when new, and you are replacing them at 2mm’s, then there’s nothing wrong with the mileage you are getting. If the pads are 12 mm’s thick, and are 2mm’s when you replace them, then that is a huge issue.

Also, if your CR-V has traction and/or stability control, try turning it off every time you drive on this new set of rear brake pads, and see if you then get longer life out of them.

BC.

normally one gets a lot more miles out of the rear pads than the front. i bought my '99 crv with about 51K miles and now have 130K, i’ve done the fronts twice and i can’t remember doing the rears at all… calipers really shouldn’t need replacing unless they’re really beat or mistreated; i would expect the OEM honda calipers to go 200K but other posters may be more in tune with life expectancy. something doesn’t seem right with your wear pattern. could be an ABS problem or as Bladecutter suggests, something with the traction system. my 99 goes into 4WD only when it needs it but i don’t know how this would wear the brakes if it was malfunctioning.

“Bladecutter suggests, something with the traction system. my 99 goes into 4WD only when it needs it but i don’t know how this would wear the brakes if it was malfunctioning.”

The AWD system is a separate entity from traction control and/or stability control.
Both traction control and stability control work by first reducing engine power, and then by selectively applying braking force to the wheel(s) that have lost traction. That process is totally separate in function from a car’s AWD system, and in fact, many FWD and RWD cars have traction control and stability control nowadays.

Even though your 1999 car has AWD, it probably does not have traction control or stability control.
11-12 years ago, when your vehicle was manufactured, these features tended to exist only on higher-end vehicles.

I’d worry less about the pad and rotor replacements than the calipers. Your front pads, which you say you replaced once at 52k, do most of the work. The rear brakes have an important but much less stressful role. The pads should never wear out ahead of the front pads.
I think you have sticky rear calipers. Replace them, along with the rear rotors and pads. If you are doing this yourself, buy the parts from NAPA if you can. Stay away from CarQuest. I wouldn’t trust Honda for these parts either. They are in decline.