2006 Chrysler Crossfire - Should I stock up on parts?

bought car new with LIFETIME warranty. The warranty is not honored any more because parts are no longer made. Sometimes with give aftermarket but if expensive part will not provide. used parts out of the question. My question is should I buy a parts car for my future needs for my car?

That option is generally something only a serious diy’er would consider. Storage space, community-appearance code violations, etc. If you prefer a relationship w/your car where you drive it, and your shop does the fixing, suggest to consider your 06 /Crossfire kaput, sell or scrap it out, and buy another car. There may be a diy’er in your area who will buy it for more than scrap value.

3 Likes

Just go to car-part.com and inter your information/VIN and order what you need, it looks like there is still plenty of these vehicles in the salvage yards… And if it is a known part failure with your car, buying a parts car will probably have the same failed part anyway…

George makes a very valid point, having a parts car around can be an issue, ask me how I know, unless have like out in the country with lots of land…

1 Like

I liked this post. I’m very active in the Ford Bronco Sport clubs and owners have actually pre-purchased water pumps because they are in such short supply and fail so often. If there was a similar part issue with the Crossfire, I can see pre-buying that part for later use. Owners of classics do this to a degree. I’ve seen them picking over parts at meets and shows.

1 Like

Agreed with the others.

It depends on how much money you have available, space for a “parts car”, POA/HOA where you live…and perhaps most importantly: how your spouse feels about the matter.

I know my wife would frown on this idea, immediately.

2 Likes

Have you gone to rockauto and checked what parts are available? Seems like all normal maintenance and repair parts are there. What kind of parts are you talking about?

If this is a regular driver for you, at some point that will end. If you drive it, parts wear out, and as it gets older parts will no longer be available.

If you want to keep driving a Crossfire, look for one for sale with very low miles on it. Buy that and switch cars. At least you will step up in vehicle life.

If this is a collector car that is occasional use, that should not be a worry. It can sit if you need to search for parts to get it running again.

In any event. you need to find a shop dedicated to older, collector cars. A normal repair shop is not going to want to work on this car as it gets much older for a lot of reasons.

Another source for some parts would be Mercedes, the Crossfire is heavily based on the first generation SLK. You’ll want to join Crossfire forums, they’ll have information on how to get/substitute some of the parts.

3 Likes

New interior and body parts will be unavailable, but parts related to the powertrain warranty can be purchased used or in the aftermarket. Just because some parts are not available through the dealer’s parts network doesn’t make the vehicle obsolete.

If you have space to keep an extra car it might be useful one day for seats, dash parts sun visors etc. Also, collision parts if you choose to perform your own body repairs.

Scrap the car for what might be minor repairs? People can get by without the dealer warranty on an ageing car. I would rather buy the parts myself. Do you rely on a Ford dealer for parts for your truck?

Who issued that warranty? What does/doesn’t it cover?

Have you asked them about potential parts problems?

(I am skeptical about this lifetime warranty.)

2 Likes

Chrysler offered a lifetime powertrain warranty in 2007- 2008 for the first owner of the vehicle for most vehicles (diesel engines excluded).

If a part shows to be discontinued via the parts distribution system/warehouse, the parts department clerk will reply that the part is no longer available. Warranty repairs must have the appropriate part numbers billed; however, corporate representatives should have a solution for this. Aftermarket sourced parts should be acceptable when OEM parts have been cancelled.

1 Like

This is what the OP says. How is that related to my 50 year diy’er repaired old truck? Apples & oranges.

The lack of OEM parts is no reason to give up on the car.

3 Likes

Yep, my brother enjoys his '53 Packard.

But I am curious what parts in particular sparked this question from the OP.

1 Like

At the time this car was sold Chrysler was in trouble and was selling cars, including Jeeps with lifetime factory warranties to boost sales.

Since then, Chrysler has been sold twice and I don’t remember if they went through bankruptcy’. This may have voided any lifetime warranty.

Even if the warranty exists, how can it be fulfilled when many of the parts did not come from Chrysler but were supplied by outside vendors? I know the ABS controllers have been unavailable for years for Chrysler cars of this era and were not made by Chrysler.

1 Like

I also own a Crossfire, 200K miles, almost 20 years old and still great car

The good news is that because the car is basically a “parts bin” car assembled by Karmann and using parts from across the MB line, parts for the drive train etc. are easily available and inexpensive.

The bad news is that becuse it was a low production car and the body and interior parts were specific to that car, replacement of these parts means a visit to a recycler and while right now there seems to be a pretty good supply of these parts, it obviously it won’t last forever.

The reality is that because of a low book value, any significant body damage will probably result in the insurer declaring a “Total” so my approach is to simply keep it well maintained and try to avoid an accident. :wink: .

1 Like

Car was built by Karrman in Germany. Some parts were Mercedes.

Coworker sold his 2003 vette and got a 2006 crossfire. Wanted to drive it in winter. It’s long gone now.

Chrysler?!? Sure as hell you should!

My MO is to drive cars into the ground. Recently replaced a '97 Civic owned from new with a used '14 Legacy, and my two other vehicles date from '07 (acquired used) and '08 (acquired new). When OEM and the aftermarket fail there are always used parts. IMO stockpiling parts is a waste of space, time and money. How would you decide what to put in inventory? Concentrate on keeping yours well maintained and enjoy the ride as long as you can. I’m in the northeast where most car frames let you know to move on in 20-25 years.

1 Like