Time to buy a Chrysler product?

It seems as though Chrysler has come up with a plan to conquer even Honda and Toyota…A lifetime powertrain warranty! So this means that you can drive a Chrysler product a million miles and get free replacement engines and transmissions along the way…I guess? I mean, really the only reason cars get tossed these days is after the engine or transmission breaths it’s last breath, but this isn’t a problem anymore it seems. This of course is assuming that you are the original owner as the warranty is not transferable. Has anyone heard the dirt on this new deal? Seems to good to be true.

Chrysler today leapfrogged every other car maker by extending its powertrain warranty on every new car and truck it sells to the life of the vehicle. The warranty will apply to the entire powertrain including the engine, transmission/transaxle, drive shafts, and axles. The new warranty goes into effect today, July 26, 2007 and applies to all new 2007s that are on the dealer lots as well as 2008 models.

The warranty covers all parts and labor as long as the owner brings the car in to a Chrysler dealer at least once every five years for a free powertrain inspection. Apparently, the only fly in the ointment is that the new warranty applies to the original owner and is not transferable. If the car is sold within the first three years, the warranty reverts to the previous 3 year/36,000 mile coverage for subsequent owners. The press release is after the jump.

[Source: Chrysler]

Chrysler Introduces New ‘Best-in-Industry’ Lifetime Powertrain Warranty
on Chrysler, Jeep? and Dodge Vehicles

• The New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty ? the first from an OEM and the longest in the industry ? is a statement of confidence in the reliability of Chrysler products
  • Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components ? engine, transmission and drive system
  • Provides worry-free ownership for new Chrysler, Jeep? and Dodge owners

Auburn Hills, Mich., Jul 26, 2007 - Chrysler today announced that the Company would extend its powertrain warranty from the 3-year/36,000-mile Basic Limited Warranty to a new Lifetime Powertrain Warranty. The new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty applies to most new Chrysler, Jeep? and Dodge vehicles purchased from dealer inventory and delivered on or after July 26, 2007.

The Lifetime Powertrain Warranty covers the cost of all parts and labor needed to repair covered powertrain components ? engine, transmission and drive system. The new powertrain warranty is limited to the first registered owner or retail lessee. Customers should contact dealers for details on vehicle selection.

“This new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty is a statement of confidence to our customers to the reliability of their powertrain. It’s peace-of-mind reassurance for as long as they own the vehicle,” said Steven Landry, Executive Vice President ? North America, Sales and Marketing, Service and Parts, Chrysler Group.

To continue warranty coverage, the owner must have a powertrain inspection performed by an authorized Chrysler, Jeep or Dodge dealer once every 5 years. This inspection will be performed at no charge. The inspection must be made within 60 days of each 5-year anniversary of the warranty start date of the vehicle.

Landry added, “The new Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty underscores our focus on quality and customer satisfaction. It demonstrates our commitment to customers and the confidence we have in our ability to produce quality, reliable and durable vehicles. That’s why we put ‘lifetime’ on it.”

Customers may visit Chrysler.com, Jeep.com and Dodge.com for more information. A warranty promotion ? print, radio, television and Internet ? begins Friday, July 27.

This could be a good thing, or it could be an act of desperation. Around 1978 or so, International Harvester announced an unheard-of 100k Powertrain Warranty on the IH Scout. Two years later, they ceased production and the warranty was essentially worthless. Is Chrysler going to go under? Probably not, but the memory of the Scout makes me wonder if this is an act of desperation on Chrysler’s part.

The warranty is also non-applicable on SRT vehicles and ‘certain’ fleet vehicles. And, as someone has already said, it’s only valid for the original owner. But who wants to drive a Sebring for the rest of their lives?

Lifetime warranty or not, some of us actually like Chrysler-built vehicles. We know that with proper care & maintenance these vehicles last as long as any other vehicle on the road.

Choose a vehicle that suits your personal needs based on whatever criteria are important to you. These days we can truly say there are no bad cars being offered, American or foreign.

Extending power train warranties is not all that expensive. Failures in the power train follow the negative exponenial distribution. The manufacurer expects some failures to occur when the machine is first put into service. However, as the time increases, at least to a point, the number of failures drops off to almost zero. It used to be that an automobile was guaranteed 90 days or 4000 miles. This caught most of the defects. When Chrysler cleaned up its act in the early sixties, it offered a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. This really didn’t cost Chrysler much, and it did bring back customers.

I would guess that more cars reach the end of their life due to other than powertrain issues, like rust, accidents electrical issues etc.

Other things work against older vehicles like rust, major emissions repairs(not covered under that warranty), rust, accidents, and overheating(not covered). Finally expect to bring out ALL receipts of proper motor oil changes and other maintenance schedule items at proper intervals to get high mileage repairs.

Engines rarely wear out, however this is a great warranty for the transmission if maintained which tend to fail.

Don’t buy a vehicle on the sole basis of warranty. Make sure you really like it as getting rid of a brand new vehicle is expensive unless you drive it into the ground. Buy something you like not just because of a warranty.

The New Chrysler Lifetime Powertrain Warranty ? the first from an OEM and the longest in the industry ? is a statement of confidence in the reliability of Chrysler products

Like GM when they came out the 50k warranty on the Chevy Vega. The engine didn’t change…just the warranty did. One of the first of it’s kind. Had NOTHING to do with how well the engine was made. In fact it was a testimate on how POORLY the engine was made. Only way to entice people to buy it was to put a warranty that was MUCH larger then anything out there at the time.

Sorry…but to me…these high mileage warranty is a HUGH RED FLAG.

Is this a warrantee for the life of the vehicle, or for the life of Chrysler?

This sounds desperate to me as well, I would never chose a vehicle based on the warrantee.

I think the fine print and determination of the cause of the problem is going to come into play big time here.

Someone has a 350,000 miles Chrysler that is burning oil and knocking a bit; is warranty going to pay for a worn out engine? Not very likely as that is not going to be a factory defect, but people are going to expect a new engine and probably demand one.

I can see a lot of arguments developing in the future at Chrysler dealers.

I disagree with you assessment that cars only get tossed because the engine and/or tranny has failed. Most junkyard cars have working drivetrains.

Yeah, usually the life of a car ends when they meet Joe Nobody at Quicky Lube. :stuck_out_tongue:

The warranty is also non-applicable on SRT vehicles

This really stinks for me because I’m thinking of buying an SRT-8 model, and I know I’ll keep the car for a long time.

Most warranties of this type are not worth the paper they are printed on. Too many variables and conditions but willing to see what falls out

It seems as though Chrysler has come up with a plan to conquer even Honda and Toyota…A lifetime powertrain warranty!

The ONLY way Chryco will EVER be able to do that is to actually BUILD a better quality car…Not just give it a Paper warranty.

If you’re old enough to remember when the Acclaim was introduced. Chryco called it the Accord killer. Making these wild claims about how reliable it was. It was just Chryco spin. I know of at least one person who believed the hype and bought one instead of buying another Accord. After keeping it two years she sold it and went back to buying Accords.

VDCdriver wrote:
“This could be a good thing, or it could be an act of desperation. Around 1978 or so, International Harvester announced an unheard-of 100k Powertrain Warranty on the IH Scout. Two years later, they ceased production and the warranty was essentially worthless. Is Chrysler going to go under? Probably not, but the memory of the Scout makes me wonder if this is an act of desperation on Chrysler’s part.”

I’m voting for desparation. I think all the Detroit brands are going the way of the British auto industry.
I won’t buy another Detroit brand new because I fear getting parts in ten years will be impossible once they’ve completely closed down or been bought by foreign brands. Maybe I’m paranoid, but I like to keep a car for a while if it cooperates.

Not only was the Vega engine junk, the cooling system was junk, the rear axles came right out of the housings (mine did too), the idle stop solenoid brackets broke and the solenoid fell into the accelerator linkage (yup, mine did too), my tranny came apart (the only one I’ve ever not had last the life of the car), the door after only 4 years had to be lifted to close because the hinges were shot, etc. etc. etc.

Chrysler had no choice. They had to do something to offset their reputation for powertrain problems. I’d rather own a car that I never need the warranty for than one that has a good warranty and needs it!

Hey, what about the 427 Vette?!

You gonna buy both? ;^)