2006 Chevy Silverado Hybrid Truck

What are the pros and cons with this type of vehicle? We are considering buying it but are afraid of the unknowns - battery life, cost to replace it and components, problems with it, etc.

It seems to me that I read tests and the Hybrid Silverado did about 1 mpg better than the non-hybrid version. The really useful feature was that the hybrid truck could run power tools from its battery–handy for a contractor. Unless you have this specialized need, the hybrid model probably isn’t worth it.

It’s a really good price, low miles, just what we were looking for. The hybrid part concerned us, i.e., replacement costs on that huge battery; other components in there that could be costly to replace since it is 5 years old. Still has 2 years on warranty but after that what??

Since the hybrid feature didn’t really do a lot on the these trucks, you might check to see if, when the battery goes, the truck is still operable without the hybrid feature. I have no idea, but others might know. You might also check with the Chevrolet service department.

Review of this truck is summarized by this statement and enough to make me consider something more traditional.

“Overall, the latest Silverado Hybrid’s high initial cost, powertrain quirks and limited fuel economy gains make us question its value for many potential buyers.”

The depreciation on the 2006 Silverado Hybrid may be great enough to make it a reasonable purchase as a used vehicle, particularly if one can “keep on truckin” when the battery fails. The original purchaser took the hosing on depreciation, so if the truck is serviceable, the OP might as well be the kid to reap the gory benefits.

Did you say “the OP (?) might as well be the kid to reap the gory or glory? benefits” and what did you mean? Please explain as I am confused. Thank you.

What I was trying to say is that the original purchaser probably took a big hit on depreciation since the hybrid Silverado was much more expensive than a regular Silverado. If the OP purchases the truck, he is getting the benefit from the depreciation. If the truck can still be driven if the battery fails, the OP is ahead. If the battery must be replaced, this is quite expensive. The OP’s benefit from the original purchaser taking a hit may or may not be a real benefit.

In other words, the OP may be getting a benefit at the original purchaser’s expense.

Thank you so much. You seem to be very knowledgeable about things. I see you are a top contributor to this site. This is my first time on here. I love reading Click and Clack in the newspaper which is where I got the site name. We are checking on battery replacement costs with the Chevy dealer; they said you could drive the truck without the battery for a while until you got the battery replaced. Don’t know how long a “while” is but it’s probably not a long time. They said that the battery isn’t the only thing you have to worry about; components involved could also be very expensive plus labor costs. Thanks again for all your input. Have a great night.

Unless you get this for an amazing price, I see no ‘pros’, only ‘cons’: no real gas savings; oddball powertrain parts = more expensive maintenance and some puzzled mechanics.

What am I missing?

This truck seems to be a strange morphodite of a vehicle with 3 lead acid batteries under the back seat and a weird starter / generator built into the bell-housing. Few were built and sold. It’s weakness is that starter system. If it fails, it will probably total the vehicle.

Brrrrr, that’s a scary thought. However, it is an amazing price; maybe that’s why. It is a one owner, excellent condition, great history - decisions, decisions.

GM used the term “hybrid” very loosely when marketing this truck. It is basically a standard PU that kills the motor when you come to a stop. When you step on the gas it starts up and goes. The only real gas savings is reducing the idling time for the motor. If you aren’t “city folk” then you may not encounter enough stop and go driving to make any difference in the mpg.

If the truck is a great buy, like less than a conventional truck it could be worth it. If the seller is looking for a higher price because it is a hybrid, let it go. There will likely be more maintenance and higher repairs on the hybrid truck as it gets older since even GM abandoned this system. That means parts could be very hard to source when the truck is 10+ years old.

A friend owns one of these trucks. He bought it new at a great price since they were just sitting on the dealer lots and this one had some demo miles on it. He runs a home inspection business and has put lots of miles on his truck with no problems, with the hybrid system or otherwise. He bought it because the dealer let it go for less than other PU’s and it had more features and options.

In this case the “hybrid” system on this truck is a disadvantage and would reduce the value of the truck rather than increase it IMO. If it is a really great deal, buy it. Just don’t pay more for it than any other PU.

Your input is greatly appreciated. It is a great buy. I think we’re going to go for it; we are city folk and older than dirt. Heck, the truck might outlive us! If it goes kaput down the road, hopefully our Chevy dealer will give us a good trade in on a new one. One can only hope!! We appreciate everyone’s input on the board. Thanks so much.