2005 Nissan Murano cranks, but won't start

I have an 05 Nissan Murano and it will crank, but won’t start. I’ve changed the battery, starter, fuel filter and the fuel pump. I took it to the dealer and they said that they could run a test on it because they thought that it was an electrical issue. I do not understand why they couldn’t diagnose the problem, they are supposed to be mechanics. I even tried to have the vehicle flashed to the key fob, but they said they couldn’t do that either. Does anyone know what the main electrical issues that these vehicles have.

Get somewhere competent. The mechanic will determine if the engine lacks fuel or spark while cranking and go from there. This dealer does not deserve your business.

Did you just ask and not let them do a diagnostic inspection ? They are not going to just guess at a problem without trying to make sure the mechanic is going in the right direction. Also they don’t work for free.

3 Likes

I misinterpreted the first post. If the dealer said they could run a test and the OP said they couldn’t diagnose the problem, then did not let them run the test (i.e. start to diagnose the problem) then the OP seems to want something for nothing. Not an unusual urge, but it won’t get a diagnosis, maybe just a hunch, which we also can provide here.

How did you get the car to the dealer? Did you tow it or did it eventually start? What is the issue with the key fob? Is it the wrong one? Some security systems will not allow the car to fully start is the incorrect fob is in the ignition. We need more background info here

The problem might be with the crankshaft position sensor.

If the computer doesn’t get a signal from this sensor, the computer see’s no reason to operate the ignition/fuel systems, so the engine doesn’t start.

The dealer should of at least hooked a scanner up to see if there’s a tach signal while cranking the engine over.

Tester