2005 Jeep Liberty no crank

I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty manual 4 cylinder. A few day ago I tried to start it and it would crank for a while before it would turn over (about 5-7 seconds) so I figured the started was on the way out. Yesterday I went to start it and had the same problem however when it started and put it in gear it stalled. However it wasn’t a hard stall like if you were to take your foot off the clutch while in gear, but as if you were to turn it off. I started it again and it stalled when I took my foot off the clutch with it in neutral. I tried a few more times and still stalled. After that I tried starting it again and it wouldn’t crank. The lights came in and the fuel pump turned on, and if you’re under the car you can hear the starter start to spin. I got the starter tested and the starter was fine. I’m not sure where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

The next time the engine won’t start, slightly step on the gas pedal and then see if the engine starts.

If the engine starts and remains running with your foot on the gas, it points to a problem with the idle air control valve.

Tester

It doesn’t start at all right now, and I tried giving it gas while starting it and it didn’t change anything, it still doesn’t start.

Then the crankshaft position sensor may have failed?

If the computer doesn’t see a signal from this sensor when attempting to start the engine, the engine will crank until the battery is worn down, but it’s not going to start.

Tester

Sounds like you need to get your battery charged.

Spray a small amount of starter fluid into the air intake and see if the engine fires then. If that works and it still dies then you seem to have a fuel delivery issue.

Your battery failed. Starting the engine with low battery voltage will set the idle air control motor out of sync and the engine will stall after start up. Now your battery doesn’t have enough power to crank the engine, replace the battery.

2 Likes