2005 honda civic o2 sensor

Hi, I know pretty much nothing about cars, am a young female college student, and therefore am a bit wary of getting convinced to pay more money than I should on car repairs. So thought I would try to check things out here before taking my car in, and also hopefully learn something useful!
Have a 2005 honda civic ex, never had any problems before, about 70k mileage. Check engine light on, got it read and the front o2 sensor is broken. Got quoted $350 to fix it… this seems a bit expensive. I looked up o2 sensors for my make/model online and there are a range of prices, from $40-300. Are the really pricey ones worth it? I’m on a pretty tight budget so I was really hoping this would be under $200.

Sivang, Good Information, So Far. Could You Tell Us The Exact Diagnostic Trouble Code(s) As Read ? Do You Have That ?

CSA

Sivang, Was The “Check Engine” Light Turned Off For You ?
Has It Come Back On, Yet ?

Have your driving habits / patterns changed recently ?

I ask these questions because sometimes a problem of this nature is short lived or self-correcting, but not usually. I’d have the light turned off and see how much time and distance it takes for it to light up, again. I’d have it checked and see if the code(s) is /are identical.

Often times the 02 sensor is implicated by the fault code, but it’s the messenger and not the culprit.

CSA

I Hope You Have Discovered The Free DTC (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) Reading Available At Many National Chain Type Auto Parts Stores.

CSA

Unfortunately I did not get that information. I know the technician said that there were three sensors, and that this was the most expensive one, if that helps at all.
thanks!

sivang, $350 sounds a little steep to me. The last time I bought an oxygen sensor for my Civic, the Honda part cost about $200, and they’re pretty easy to install. You can buy a non-Honda part, but it might not work as well. Honda’s emissions equipment can be finicky.

If you know someone who is good with cars, like a boyfriend, relative, or family member, he or she can change your oxygen sensor for you. It might require a special tool purchase, but the tool will cost less than the labor you are being quoted.

Ask your mechanic what will happen if you spend $350 and the “check engine” light comes back on with the same code. If he says, “I’ll refund your $350,” that is the right answer. If he says anything other than that, you should get a second opinion before you allow the work to be done.

Whitey, Did You Notice It’s Tagged Honda Civic Hybrid ?

These hybrids must have different engines and ECMs/software, eh ? I see bulletins that apply to problem catalyst codes in 2005 hybrids and problem 02 codes in 2005 non-hybrids that require reflashes of ECM software.

I don’t know if any Civic 02 sensors interchange with hybrid sensors.
CSA

There is no code that tells you that an oxygen sensor is bad. Don’t believe anyone who tells you that there is. There are quite a few codes that involve reports about data from O2 sensors that are out of line with specifications. Some of those codes are more likely to end up being an O2 sensor problem. For many others its just one of the possibilities. Sometimes those codes appear because the O2 sensor is working correctly and is reporting on some other problem - which is its job.

So get the actual, specific error code. The format is “P1234” Many major auto parts chain stores read them for free. Get the code(s) and post.

Thanks everyone! All of this is really helpful. So much to learn! I will get the actual code asap

For Honda, I would buy the Honda OEM sensor, which in most cases is Denso. Don’t assume a Bosch sensor (or any other sensor) will do the job. It many cases it won’t. A dealer will charge about $300 to replace it. About $170 retail for the sensor, the rest labor. You can buy an OEM Denso Honda sensor on the internet for about $130. It takes about 45 min (at most) to replace.