2004 Honda CR-V engine light - O2 sensor bad?

My check engine light has been coming on intermittently. On my second visit to the Honda service center about this, a diagnostic test was run. The result: “CHECK AND FOUND O2 SENSOR BAD RECOMMEND REPLACING ($608.88)”.

I asked for a diagnostic code, but I was told that their system doesn’t give codes - only interpretations. From what I’ve gleaned from my web searches, however, there isn’t just one O2 sensor on the car. And from what I’ve read in this forum regarding other Hondas, sometimes a sensor is just loose or the O2 sensor code is triggered on the diagnostic test, but is not really the root cause of the problem.

I’ll have to resolve the problem because my car won’t pass inspection for registration renewal, but $600+ is a lot of money and I’m not really trusting the diagnosis. It cost a lot just to get the first diagnosis, so I’d like to get more information before I proceed with getting another, possibly conflicting diagnosis.

Can anyone suggest something I might check out for myself? I’m not a mechanically-inclined, but I can sure try if I only need simple tools and can locate the parts.

I don’t know if it’s relevant, but since I started commuting via a mass transit system 7 months ago to a new job , I usually drive only 8 miles round-trip per day. My car seems to run normally, though, even on longer trips.

Thanks.

My guess is the shop is probably correct and the O2 sensor(s) needs replacing.

If you are the handyman type, one thing you could do is to go to one of the big auto parts stores nearby. They’ll usually lend you a code-reader gadget. Some of these stores will read the codes for you and tell you what they are for a small fee, or in some cases for free.

There’s often two O2 sensors, one before the catylitic convertor, and one after. Based on the output of the two during their testing, they think it is the sensor(s), not the converter. It is possible the problem is not the O2 sensor, but the cat converter. But I think you have to trust these guys on this. After all, they do these kinds of test every day and know how to interpret the results. If you really don’t trust them, as your friends and co-workers for a recommendation for another shop and have them repeat the test.

To save $$, replacing O2 sensors is within the skills of most handyman types. If you have ever changed your brake pads for example, it’s about as complicated as that. You usually need a special modestly priced tool is all to do it.

One more thing. Google “how to pass an automotive emission test”. There’s some hints of things to do before doing the test there that might be of help to get it to pass. But one thing is certain. You will have to get the check engine light off, because that in itself prevents passing the test usually.

Your vehicle has two oxygen sensors…The downstream sensor goes for $75 and the upstream is $200

We are a long ways from $600 here…Unless Honda has built in some accessibility nightmare…

There’s a lot I don’t know - but $600 for an O2 sensor + being told that they don’t get codes, only interpretations means run.

Why are you taking this car to a dealer?

Many auto parts stores will read codes for free, and you’ll get the actual code. So get the actual code(s) and report them.

Unlike George, I’m NOT going to assume that you need a new sensor. I will assume that the dealer will be happy to charge you over $600 to just change parts.

$600 to replace an oxygen sensor seems kind of outrageous, and the line about “we don’t get codes, only interpretations” is basically their way of saying they want to keep you in the dark as much as possible about what they found out to prevent you from either having the work done elsewhere or performing the work yourself. I think a second diagnosis is in order by a skilled diagnostician at a trusted independent shop is in order, as well as avoiding this dealership in the future. The dealer service department is usually no better or worse than a decent independent shop, but is almost always more expensive. They can also have some real duds working there. You can, of course, keep going there if you really like their coffee and customer lounge and don’t mind paying premium prices for your car’s maintenance and service, but you probably wouldn’t be here if that were your attitude.

First of all sorry for resurrecting this dead post but this could help others. I agree with the guy who said to have your vehicle scanned somewhere else. Or you could get a Bluetooth capable obd2 adapter and do it yourself, like I do.

I get a check engine light on my 04 cr-v when I fuel up at random gas stations. Mind you I maintain my baby meticulously, it’s a champ for deliveries on the rough nyc roads.

But seriously the car and it’s sensors are sensitive to bad fuel in my experience, so I get the 89 instead of the 87 and that usually works well at most places. Also try to avoid gassing up in the rain. Maybe that one is just a superstition :wink:

Superstition or nonsense - I think both .
And it you can’t use 87 Octane then there is something wrong with your vehicle and bad fuel is a rare occurrence these days.
But other than that thanks for reviving a 8 year old thread.