2005 Honda Civic Hybrid

My local Honda dealer wants to charge me $526.00 for the Oxygen Sensor Kit (Part # 06365-PZA-A00) for my 2005 Honda Civic Hybrid. Does this sound like the right price (we’re not counting the cost of the labor to put it in; just the parts)? Or am I being soaked? The technician says I won’t be able to pass my next inspection if I don’t get it replaced. All it’s doing now is causing a few warning lights to come on.

If you have warning lights, you fail.

What codes are read from the OBD-II system? We need the codes to help.

I don’t know anything about any codes. The tech probably has those. I just want to know if that dollar amount is reasonable for that parts kit. Thanks.

Is it the upstream O2 (air/fuel) sensor? I see one for a little less than $200, but it might not be exactly what you need. Have you tried using Google to find it? You should expect to pay a bit more buying it from the dealer, but usually it wouldn’t be double in price from the dealer. Also, double check that this isn’t covered under a Honda recall. I saw some references to recalls on O2 sensors for Honda Civic Hybrids.

Here’s one for about $190.

http://www.am-autoparts.com/Honda/CivicHybrid/oxygen-sensors/AM-29142188/358159.html?utm_campaign=gb_api_nobr&utm_content=EOS&gclid=CLX2ueGX9LcCFSFyQgodf00AJQ

I think I have the 1.4 L engine. It’s an automatic transmission too. That part in the link you provided is for a 1.3 L engine. Could that account for the difference in price?

@Raci570

Here is an upstream sensor for your application. $235.79, and this is NOT a genuine Honda part.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1644282&cc=1430772

You need to go to a site like www.rockauto.com. They start by asking your car brand, then the year, then the model. I did that for your car and got a lot of choices, but you need to know if its upstream or downstream, and you need to know if you are in California. The most expensive was $250 or so.

@ wentwest
Thanks for the info. One thing I do know is, I’m not in California.

@Raci570

Pop the hood and carefully study the emissions sticker

You may very well have a car which meets California emissions standards

Some places require you to install the “correct” replacement parts, even if the car isn’t registered in California. After all, putting in non-California emissions parts “could” be viewed as tampering.

If I were you, I’d contact your local bureau of automotive repair and ask about the regulations.

There could be an argument that using the Honda OEM part – vs the non-Honda part you’d find at retail auto parts stores – using the Honda part may be a more reliable choice. I’d be inclined to only use an OEM part for an O2 sensor myself. But $526 vs $250? Well, it still might be worth it, but maybe before committing to spend $526, do a little more research on the internet and call a few more Honda dealers, maybe a dealer in another state, and ask them for pricing on this part. If you plan to have the install done by a mechanic rather than doing it yourself, why not contact a local inde mechanic or two and ask for a quote on the OEM part installed? The inde mechanic may be able to get the OEM part from Honda at a discount price.