2005 Chevy Classic race car conversion

Forget Haynes schematics. They are generally wrong and use the word “typical” a lot when referring to a schematic. One size fits all is their motto…

I have the GM factory manuals on digital for my Sonoma truck and even those manuals are seriously lacking when it comes to needed information.

Generally that philosophy doesn’t extend to wires that are necessary to make the car run…

You don’t have a “short”, you have missing wires.

If you have a library card, many libraries have access to all-data, and you can view and print from home.

3 Likes

No offense intended . . .

All-data is okay, but “it isn’t all that”

I’d rather pay a modest fee . . . typically no more than $25 . . . and access the 100% correct information from GM itself

I’ve found all-data to be “lacking” in many areas

Even identifix is often better than All-data

btw, our city library allows you free access to Chilton data, which is okay, when you consider it’s free. But even that is missing quite a few things

1 Like

Probably worth looking at the free data before subscribing to the GM data. If the OP continues his racing career, then buying the subscription should be worthwhile.

Just curious, do manufacturer’s still publish the paper-book format of the car’s shop manual? For both my Corolla, and my prior VW Rabbit, I purchased the manufacturer’s shop manual at the same time I purchased the vehicles. Those shop manuals were very helpful in aiding my diy’er repairs. I’m guessing that for newer cars (probably starting w/OBD II) the number of pages required make a shop manual impractical to publish it in book format. If so, are they still available, but only in CD format?

I think they still publish the manuals . . . typically a 5-volume set nowadays . . . but I don’t know if they’re “required” to do it

At our fleet, we still get the manuals, but they usually sit on the shelf, in favor of the technical websites

However . . . there are times when it’s useful to have the physical manual inches in front of your face

Such as when you’re in a vehicle and performing electrical diagnosis and you want the wiring diagram, connector pin-outs, etc. right there and you do NOT want to get up to view the laptop, desktop, or what have you . . . because to move would be physically uncomfortable

There are situations when you know you’ll be in an awkward position for quite awhile . . . and you want everything you’ll need right there, within reach and legible

2 Likes