2005 Chevy 1500 V6 - No Start - Ran Fine When Last Driven

Just like always,the truck was running fine, parked it on Friday and when I went to start Monday morning it won’t start. It turns over/cranks but wont fire and start. No studdering or coughing. Sounds just like it always does before it starts, it just wont catch and actually start. Spark plugs are getting fuel and there is spark. It has been very cold since it was parked as well. Thought it may have been the ignition coil so that has been replaced and its still not doing the same as it was. Acts like it wants to start but never does.

I’m going to keep and eye on this closely and appreciate everyone’s help.

Beth

Have you tried starting fluid?

No, not yet. Was going to try that next just to see what it would do. Any thoughts on what would cause it to need starting fluid all of a sudden though? Just the temp?

No

Not the temperature

If you have to use starting fluid, you’ve got a fuel pressure/delivery problem

3 Likes

Thank you!

If everything is operating as designed temperatures well below ZERO shouldn’t prevent starting but if the spark is weak and the valves are coked up with carbon and the battery is barely able to crank the engine at ZERO it might start if the temperature was 70.

If the engine fires up and runs a few seconds on starting fluid it’s somewhat certain that the ignition is operating and the engine has compression so the problem is fuel.

1 Like

I had a weird GM experience, moved 15 feet and turned it off, winter temps, next morning no start. Starting fluid useless. Hooked up battery tender, tried to start every 30 minutes. 2.5 hours later started and no repeat in the last 5 years. Mysteries of life! I now run it around the block instead of a 15 foot move.

Since this 2005 Chevy Silverado 1500 has the V6, I know it has the 4.3 liter V6 with CSFI . . . which can be quite finicky. If fuel pressure is even a little bit below specs, don’t expect it to start without help

For those young enough to have learned to drive in fuel injected vehicles it might seem unusual to need to do anything other than twist the key and instantly see the engine start and run at an increased idle long enough to stabilize and within seconds drive away without a problem. On the other hand old people had many years of experience pumping the gas pedal to set the choke and once started revving the engine for several minutes after a cold start in order to shift into gear and move without the engine stalling. When everything operates as designed today’s cars take away all the excitement of driving. But back when America was great most adults recognized when an engine was flooding and when it needed more fuel to start and when to rev the engine to keep it running until things stabilized. Often posters here complain that their car won’t start and they never even attempted to improve the situation by stepping on the accelerator. Bring back carburetors with chokes and MAGA.

1 Like

I think you forgot this after that sentence . :grinning:

1 Like

You can still get that experience trying to start a chainsaw in sub-zero temps! :grin: The days of needing skill to recognize when to pump the pedal or to stop pumping or to hold it to the floor…get out, prop open the choke plate with a screwdriver…starting fluid as a fixture in the car after November…ah, the good 'ol days!

3 Likes

I guess I took it for granted that everyone here recognized my sarcasm @VOLVO_V70. But thanks for making it clear for new visitors.

And about those chainsaws @TwinTurbo. Before our outdoor equipment saw all the modern updates it was much easier to start and more trouble free if kept clean. I cut 200 cedar fence posts on a cold Thanksgiving weekend long-long ago with a McCollough chain saw and wore out a bar and chain doing it (cedar sap is tough on chainsaws) and never had a problem with starting it. That saw engine was trouble free for more than a decade and failed when borrowed and run on straight gasoline until it seized. Nikki carburetors, ethanol and lack of user adjustments has made yard work a monumental PAIN.