2005 Chevrolet TrailBlazer needs diagnostic help

70 yo widow with a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer LT. Car was off. No key in ignition. Hadn’t been driven for hours. I was going to bed and noticed my headlights were on. I tried to turn off but nothing worked. Next morning battery was dead. Friend jumped started it. That night the headlights turned on by themselves - might be caused by a bright light. I took out the new headlight fuse & just don’t drive at night. Couple of mechanics looked at me like I was crazy. I’ve been taken advantage of by repair shops before. Any idea what could cause this besides “some electrical problem” that would be very expensive to diagnosis?? I find your column very helpful.

Is the manual headlight switch ON? I know, dumb question but people do forget.

Electrical problems can be difficult to diagnose, especially over the internet without the car in front of us. If you want the problem to go away, paying for diagnosis is the correct path.

I don’t understand the reluctance to pay someone to find the source of your problem. Sure, it costs money but is like blood testing, MRI’s and CAT scans your doctor orders to find out what is wrong with you.

A faulty body control module will cause that.

Tester

1 Like

Turning the manual headlight switch off didn’t help. Only pulling the fuse stopped the problem. I know an electrical problem can be a big problem and when I can better afford the $170 diagnostic I will take it in. My hope is to be a more informed consumer.

Thanks for the suggestions

This is helpful information. Thank you.