2005 Chevrolet Blazer - paint fix is pricey

The hood of my Blazer started bubbling about 2-3 weeks ago and now about 3/4 of the hood is peeling.
I had two estimates done, to repair the cost will be between $800. - $!000.

You did not ask a question but I will give an answer anyway. If the cost is more than you are willing to pay there are some other options . If you are able to remove the hood and clean it you might try to use a rattle can paint that will be close to the paint color. Or even spray it flat Black which seems to be in style now. If that is not what you want after you do it you can still have it done by a professional .

3 Likes

The price seems about right. There is that well known chain that might do it cheaper. On a vehicle that is 17 years old it will be difficult to get a good match to the existing paint.

1 Like

An auto recycler might have one you could put on and not have to paint.

7 Likes

Sounds like a reasonable price, but if the appearance of the car is an issue I would have the entire car repainted. It will look better and last longer that way.

1 Like

Yes, professional painting is expensive.

3 Likes

Why is the paint peeling? It might just be age, but it might also be engine heat. Did the paint on the inside of the hood peel too? You didn’t say anything about this and I would want to consider this before painting it.

I agree. A junkyard hood would be $50

Not in my neck of the woods

The junk yards get good money for sheet metal here

1 Like

They are probably in worst condition than his.The op could just strip the paint.prime and repaint with rattle cans and hope for the best.Its a 17 year old vehicule and it won’t last forever. $800-$1000 sound about right if he wants the hood repainted but it might no match the rest of the car.

I would remove the hood, sand it down to the metal, use a quality rattle can primer, let it dry, then repaint it with a rattle can automotive paint which is as close as possible to the original color. Do this when the weather is warm outside, and of course, have somewhere to let the hood dry where dirt and insects won’t get on the paint while it’s drying.

I have used this technique twice to repaint peeling hoods on work trucks that I was assigned to, because the employer was unwilling to pay for a professional repaint on an old truck, but was willing to pay for the materials and my wages to re-paint it. Both times, the results were very good.

Couple of rolls of this would make it look spiffy.

3 Likes

I like the wood grain…

3 Likes

you could always do something like this. decals are $59-$89

Vinyl Car Hood Full Color Wrap Graphics Decal Skull | Etsy

2 Likes

This is what I did after I hit a deer with my 05 Lesabre. Of course I work at a scrap yard and it took some time for the correct color car to come in.

I would not paint the entire car. Too much to invest on a 2005 model daily driver, in my opinion. Was the $800-$1000 estimate to paint the hood only? Seems high for just the hood, but seems really low if it was to paint the entire car.

Until a few months ago I thought you worked at a metal recycling facility. The scrap yards in my area do not sell material, they only buy it. Used auto parts are sold at vehicle salvage yards.

The trouble is your blazer is it is tooooo new, you missed the great deals. Now, if it was a 1950 Chevy Blazer and you brought it into Earl Scheib back in 1953 or 1954, you could have had the whole thing painted for $19.95. Of course, the equivalent in purchasing power to about $231.37 today, but still a darn site cheaper than $800 to $1,000 you were quoted…

paint

Yeah, I know the Chevy Blazer was not even built until 1969, but one can still dream…

I do not know what it would cost to just spray paint a hood if you brought it in already primed and not needing any other work, but you can buy a complete replacement that only needs to be painted for under $200, shipping included…

https://www.carparts.com/details/Chevrolet/Blazer/Replacement/Hood/2005/Base/6_Cyl_4-dot-3L/6983.html

You can always sand it, prime it, and paint it Flat Black, the Decal mentioned earlier is a pretty good idea also.

Maybe a vocational school or community college might take it on as a “teaching project…”

Finally, if you feel adventurous, sand it, prime it, and buy the replacement “color matched” spray cans of paint from an auto parts store. And if you do not like the way it turns out, just sand it down again and try, try again… If you do, get the expensive stuff, the nozzles spray with a fan rather than a cone shape.

Drive Safe and remember, the can of paint may say that you can spray it in temps as low as 40 degrees, it will not smooth out as you paint unless it’s at least 70 degrees, but 85 or so gives better results…

I should have had a copy write on my post .

3 Likes

The nickname for that auto painting business was Earl Slob. Their pre-paint sanding was minimal to non-existent, and they used very little masking tape.

Back in those days, every car had its model name affixed to the body with white metal castings, and Earl Slob’s craftsmen painted right over those badges. From 50 feet away, the paint jobs looked… okay… but if you got any closer, they looked really bad.

Is roof ok as well?