2004 Ford Ranger Engine sounds like a cricket

Hello,

I have just today noticed a sound coming out of my truck. It sounds like a cricket. Its a consistent high pitches squeak coming from the engine. I notice that it goes away whenever I use my throttle, and that is has gotten louder over a few hours. Recently, the truck has also been taking a lot longer to start. Let me know what this could be, how bad it is, and how much it should cost to fix.

Thanks,
Andrew

If worse on cold starts, and cold temperature, could just be a fan belt (or serp belt) needing replacement or adjusting. Try spraying a little water on the belt when you are hearing this, see if that makes a difference.

1 Like

I live in California, and we don’t get temperatures lower than 60 degrees most of the time. Shouldn’t be that.

Edit: Only saw first part. Will try the water trick thanks.

@George_San_Jose1 should have mentioned that, if a few drops of water stops the squeaking for a moment …that proves that it is a belt or one of the pulleys that the belt rides on. It is not a fix,but a aide in diagnosing the problem.

If you remove the belt, try spinning each pulley with your hands. Only the Crankshaft pulley will not spin. If any pulleys are wobbly, tight or scratchy/grinding…are found…that is your problem. If these are the original belt, idler pulley, and tensioner, they are well past the time to change them out.

Yosemite

2 Likes