2004 Chrysler Crossfire - What's this car's reputation?

what are known problems for this car

OK , why are you asking ? Do you have one or want to buy one. It is an old vehicle so the problems may have been fixed and it now has a bunch of new ones. There is not really an answer to this question . Take it to a good independent shop , pay between 100 to 150 dollars and see if they find things wrong with it.

1 Like

Owners have reported electrical problems and various other issues: 2004 Chrysler Crossfire | CarComplaints.com That said, each car is different and with a used model, a lot has to do with how it was maintained. If you’re considering one, have a mechanic you trust conduct a prepurchase inspection and go from there.

2 Likes

Directing carcomplaint posters back to carcomplaints is an act of brilliants.

Each car is different except for the ones that are the same. Ignition interlock failures and oil leaks.

If you are considering buying, my advice is don’t.

1 Like

Friend bought a new 2000 vette. Sold it around 03-04 and got a cross fire. He considered it a summer toy. Had other cars for winter. It’s gone now. I think he liked it.

Also check the first generation Mercedes Benz SLK. The Crossfire is based on the Benz and most of the parts are the same. I had a Crossfire roadster as a rental once, and I loved it. The biggest problem for me was that there is almost no trunk space when the top is down. This could be a problem if you want to drive a roadster in a trip.

1 Like

Any 18 year old car will have problems, greatly depending on the care it received in that time, which we don’t know.

… and fixing those problems in a vehicle that utilizes a lot of Mercedes-Benz parts will be… pricey.

Mine is a 2005 6 speed, hard top, bought new, currently 180,000 miles.
Mechanically the only work that has been done was normal service; oil changes, brakes, plugs, filters, belts, sparkplugs, etc. and the cabin blower motor replaced.
Cosmetically the painted plastic rear spoiler and windshiled surround started shedding their paint and the headlamp lens required treatment for fogging.

It’s a small, 2 seater, rear wheel drive sportscar, not especially quick off the line but solid and stiff at speed.
Since it used mechanical parts from many other high production models their easily available and reasonably priced HOWEVER body parts are unique to this car and I foresee a future supply problem if you wreck it.

The SLK of that time did not use a particularly high quality interior

The materials themselves weren’t high quality, the painted surfaces started to peel quite early, and they used poor quality adhesives, which cause many panels to separate

I expect the Crossfire would suffer from the same problems