2003 Silverado hard turning to left

I have a 2003 Silverado 1500 4wd at low ( 5 mph ) speeds it turns to the left like I have manual steering. To the right it turns fine. As soon as I get the speed up to 6 or 7 mph turns fine. At a stop you can’t hardly turn left but again turning right if fine. I can put in neutral and rev the engine up and it makes no difference. I googled the problem and I don’t seem to be the only one with the problem and no one seems to have an answer. I have tried a lot of “fixes” like check the air in the tires and replace the steering fluid etc but nothing has worked yet. Anyone here have a real solution?

It sounds like you’ve done the commonsense things. If the PS fluid level is to spec, and no signs of leaks (you don’t have to add fluid all the time to keep it at the full mark) probably something with the PS pump or the rack. There’s an off-chance you have air in the PS fluid. Probably what I’d do first if I had this problem is replace the belt which drives the PS pump, making sure it is at the proper belt tension, then bleed any air from the PS fluid. I’d also do a look-see underneath the car for obvious problems with the suspension and steering system linkages. If that all didn’t fix it, I think you are looking at a new pump and/or new rack.

is it in 4wd, or 2wd? if in 4wd switch to 2wd and see if the problem persists. Try the steering while in neutral also.

This truck still has recirculating ball steering gear, not a rack and pinion. I’d suspect the steering box may need rebuilding. Or possibly the power steering pump has worn to the point that it can’t provide enough flow and pressure to keep up at low speeds.

Try a low speed to-the-left steer with the truck in neutral but rolling at 3-4 mph and rev the engine just a bit (1800 rpm or so) and see if it still steers hard to the left. If it does, I’d suspect the steering box, if it doesn’t I’d replace the pump. Pumps are fairly cheap. A rebuilt steering box is a bit more pricey.