2003 Mazda 6 Tranny Nightmare

Short story is a mechanic installed a “new/working” Tranny into my 2003 Mazda 6. It does not drive right at all! Reverse works properly and shifts smoothly. Drive is a different story, From a cold start you need to keep it at 3k-4k rpms for 2 minutes before it will even start to go forward, after it starts moving it can be driven around with moderate confidence that it will not “slip”. The mechanic had a hard time reinstalling the Shifter cable, but the proper gears light up on the dashboard when the gear shifter changes gears, so i dont think its a cable issue. I am getting A/T codes for “Incorrect gear ratio” on gears 1,2 and 3. The mechanic never mentioned anything about installing a new TCM or Transmission computer. Is it possible he installed a different style of transmission that my stock TCM cant control? Any thoughts or insights will help greatly. Has anyone done a Tranny swap and knows the procedure, or what components need to be adjusted/swapped for this job to be successful?

I hope this was a repair with proper paperwork, not an off the books transaction . . .

Assuming you let the shop source the parts, there should be a guarantee on parts and labor

Either the part or the labor is the problem . . . hard to say from here

new, used or remanufactured transmission . . . ?

1 Like

Yes, go back to the mechanic, if he sourced the transmission, it is his job to figure it out and fix it. If you bought the transmission on your own, you do have a serious problem, the mechanic and supplier will blame each other and how will you prove which one is wrong ?