2003 Kia Sorento - Does it need to be flashed?

I changed the Throttle Position Sensor on 2003 Kia Sorento LX. I’ve heard it needs to be adjusted and “flashed” with Kia software. Is this so? Can anyone do this or is it Kia dealer specific?

I don’t know the answer for Kia specifically. Most vehicles, the computer will adjust to a new sensor on its own fairly quickly. You might try disconnecting the positive battery cable and turning the key to start for five seconds or so. This should discharge any stored energy. When you hook the battery cables back up and turn the ignition on, the computer is forced to reset and should relearn all of the sensors, including the new tps. Again, this works for most vehicles, I’m not certain about Kia specifically. But I wouldn’t think a 2003 Kia would be too modern or advanced for this to work and to need a dealership visit.

1 Like

I would agree with @Scrapyard_John I hope Kia didn’t make it mandatory to need a dealership program in this instance.

Most vehicles have a procedure to follow to tell the computer to calibrate a new part like this… Look up “03’ Kia Sorento TPS relearn procedure”

The search results should be able to answer your question.

Thanks for the info. I tried disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes to see if it would reboot but no luck.I couldn’t find any relearn procedures for the Sorento. I’m reduced to finding a garage to fix this. Thanks again for your advice.
Roger

No luck on the reboot.Thanks for the info though. I’m reduced to finding a garage that can fix this.
Roger

I take it you got an error code for the TPS system and that the Check Engine Light is still on. If this is true, the problem is likely in the wiring, not the TPS itself.

From what I see it does need to be adjusted, but I see nothing about needing the computer flashed. It’s just a variable resistor in series with an idle switch, and both the switch and the resistance can be checked easily enough using a dvm. It’s adjusted to produce the correct voltage by manual rotation of the ass’y apparently. The resistance between pins 1&3 should vary continuously (not jumping around) as the throttle is moved, in the range of about 4,000 ohms. The idle switch should be on at idle, and open just beyond idle.

It’s similar to how it works on my Corolla, and I was able to adjust that one to spec without much difficulty. I found it was helpful to remove it first to figure out how it worked by fiddling with it on the bench though. That made the adjustment process on the vehicle more understandable.

After a grueling 4 second internet search this information was readily available. If you havent gone to a shop just yet and you are feeling up to the challenge… Here is some info to chew upon…

https://www.kia-forums.com/2003-2010-sorento-forum/66118-tps-replacement-04-sorento-3-5l.html