2003 Camry

I have a 2003 Camry with 100,000 miles. A friend said that I should get the timing chain replace. However, I found an article on the web that said The 2002-2006 Camry 2.4L 4-cylinder engine has a chain that does not need to be replaced. Can anyone confirm that this is correct.

There is no timing chain replacement interval. Your friend is wrong. HOWEVER, there is a timing chain replacement criteria. Usually this is tested once it is required to be removed, like when doing a head gasket replacement. If the timing chain has stretched beyond a certain limit, it should be replaced and not re-used.

Unless the timing chain is rattling, which is an indication of it stretching beyond the limits of the tensioner, I would not worry about it. Chains rarely break, and just tend to stretch until they rattle. They will last a long time past 100,000 miles easily. I had a Toyota Pick-up, and had to do a head gasket at 227,000 miles. The timing chain was near the strecth limit, so I replaced it. It actually still had plenty of adjustment in the tensioner to keep it tight, so I would not worry about it.

Thank you so much for the information regarding timing chain replacement. I can take this off my “To Do List” and have one less thing to worry about and, save much money!

Just to defend your friend a little, s/he was probably thinking of timing BELT, which does have to be replaced periodically. Your engine has a timing chain, not a timing belt. Earlier Camry engines (like my 2000) have timing belts. I do not know when Toyota changed to timing chain. I do know that a lot of people are surprised when they learn that, yes, they do have to spend several hundred dollars to replace their timing belt. That question appears here pretty often.