Timing belt

I have a 2001 Hyundai Elantra with only 25000 miles. Should I replace the timing belt. Car runs fine.

look in your handbook for the recommended change interval,my ford says "10 years,or 100,000 miles,whichever comes first"cambelts are made of rubber and deteriorate with time as well as mileage,so even though your mileage is very low,it will still need replacing at the recommended interval.

As one of the most skilled mechanics on this site likes to say, “Your engine will run very well, right up to the milisecond after the timing belt snaps”. And, it will give no warning of its demise. One minute–normal running. The next minute–valves and pistons collide, causing very expensive damage to repair–in addition to the cost of the timing belt that would have prevented the damage in the first place.

As has already been said, you need to consult the Hyundai maintenance schedule (contained either in the Owner’s Manual or in a separate booklet with an appropriate title), in order to see what the car’s manufacturer specified for timing belt replacement. My best guess is that it advises you to replace that part every 7 years or 105,000 miles, whichever comes first. Since rubber parts can dry out and deteriorate just from sitting in place, this part needs to be replaced–preferably along with the water pump and the belt tensioners–a.s.a.p.

Incidentally, since it seems that you have not used the manufacturer’s maintenance schedule previously, when you are looking at the details on the timing belt, also look at the other maintenance items that you have probably skipped over the past 7 years.

If you have not had the antifreeze/coolant changed, you are courting problems with your cooling system. If the coolant has never been changed, have the cooling system flushed first, however, because by now there is a huge amount of rust in that ignored cooling system.

If you have not had the transmission fluid changed (assuming that it is an automatic transmission), you are drastically shortening the life of your very expensive transmission.

Maintenance is far cheaper than repairs. Bring the maintenance up to date if you intend to keep this car and to minimize your long-term expenses.

Also need to explain the difference between an “interference” engine and a “non-interference” engine. The former is an engine which self-destructs as VDCdriver explained, when the timing belt breaks. The latter will not self-destruct, so give you an advantage regarding the timing belt; when it fails, your car just stops until it is replaced. You can determine which type of engine you have by going to a web site set up by a company named Gates. They specialize in belts, hoses, etc. GOOGLE them.