2003 Hyundai accent transmission trouble(no gears!)

I have a 2003 Hyundai accent that was not shifting into higher gears about (45 mph) max speed. I took a transmission out of a 2005 ( same engine bad unibody) and put in the 2003. Making sure the torque converter was in all the way. Now I have no gears at all, no park, nothing. But the car does start. I went to the salvage yard and noticed that all the cars like it (hyundai) had no park either. So I must be missing something electrical right? Thanks for any help

@Fredym1

“noticed that all the cars like it (hyundai) had no park either.”

Explain, please

The Hyundai accents in the salvage yard with the batteries out and on lifts, I could move all wheels freely while the transmission were in park. One wheel should have been locked in park right. That’s what makes me think I’m missing something electrical? Maybe a solenoid ?

In the under dash fuse box check fuse number 1, 10 amp to see if it’s blown.

This fuse supplies power to the transmission range switch which then sends this voltage to the computer. The computer then operates the shift solenoids depending on the position of the transmission range switch.

Tester

I have the old transmission still on the floor that was only having problems with the shifting in the higher gears, and when I put it into park or anything else by hand, I still have nothing just like the one in the car now. So I put the old torque converter in it and spun it around and switched the gears but still had nothing. Any help or good ideas to would be appreciated.

I checked the fuses ( under the dash and hood ) but all are good. I was told maybe I need to reset the TCM or ECM but not sure how to do that.

To check an automatic transmission for Park you have to keep one axle from turning while you you attempt to turn the opposite axle i.e. hold the left front wheel and try turning the right front. If the parking gear is engaged, you will not be able to move that wheel.

You cannot spin the torque converter fast enough to build line pressure to engage any of the moving gear clutches. It takes at least 500 RPM to get the pressure up. Otherwise you are just turning the pump of the torque converter while the turbine sits still. Even if you got the input shaft to turn, none of the internal clutches would engage as there is no line pressure to speak of.

Hope this helps.

You should be able to get either transmission into “park”…read what Researcher said about having one drive wheel on the ground…for the other gears, the transmission PUMP must be connected to the “live” part of the torque converter so it is being driven when the engine is running. it may take a minute or two for the pump to fill the torque converter and build up enough pressure to engage the transmission…

As you slide the torque converter onto (into) the transmission, 2 or 3 different components must line up and engage between the converter and the transmission…If you start tightening bell-housing bolts before the converter is correctly seated in place, you can break some very expensive parts…

Ok that explains the salvage yard cars, and the old transmission on the floor ( thanks). I’ll have to try the old one again. But the one in the car now is on the ground, and it has no gears at all, but I can hear sounds when I change gears but no gears lock in. I did not put any additional fluid in the torque converter and I’m not sure how much old fluid was left in it (oops ), could this be my problem? Thanks for helping everyone!

Since you don’t have working Park in this new installed transmission, I suspect that one or both of the front axles is/are not engaged into the differential side gears. Make sure that the CV axles are fully seated into the transmission. Ways to check the engagement of the axles is 1) raise one wheel; put transmission in Park; and try turning that wheel. 2) raise both wheels; place transmission in Park; turn the left wheel counterclockwise; and note if the right wheel turns clockwise as viewed from the left side (counterclockwise as viewed from the right side. If you can turn 1) or 2) doesn’t counter turn, one or both of the axles are not engaged into the side gears for whatever reason.

If the axles are fully inserted, I am wondering if a difference between the 2003 and 2005 transmission could be a different size spline between the 2003 and the 2005 transmission. You might go to an auto parts store and look up the CV axles for 2003 and 2005 and see if they use the same part number.

BTW, when you shift from Drive to Park with the engine running do you get the ratcheting sound of the parking pawl trying to stop the spinning park cog wheel?

Hope this helps.

Ok thanks I’ll try this out. And no the sound is kinda light. It doesn’t sound like gears grinding. It sounds like its telling it to engage in the gears electronicly but that’s all that happens.

" I did not put any additional fluid in the torque converter and I’m not sure how much old fluid was left in it (oops ), could this be my problem?"

“Houston, we have a problem…”