2003 Ford Escape seizes up

I have a 2003 Ford escape , it will seaze up in motion. I have to put it in park to 're- start it now the engine light is on. Is bit worth fixing or to scrap it

It depends on exactly what’s wrong…what’s the maintenance history? What shape is the body in (ie rust)? What code(s) are causing the CEL to light up?

What do you mean by engine light? The Check Engine Light or a red no oil pressure light?

Have you bothered to check the oil level?

Yes my oil is fine, ,it’s my check engine light, I check my oil once a week

I’ve had this car for less than 2 years, it’s alittle rusty, there was a oil change when I got it I don’t drive long distances , since I have HAD the car I only put 346 miles onit…

1 Like

Oil needs to be changed at minimum once per year.

Is the check engine light steady, or flashing?

That generation of Escape had an absolutely terrible traction control system. We had a fleet of those where I work, and if you just drove over a sprinkling of sand on the pavement while turning, the car would slam on the brakes. Every Escape in our fleet did it, which tells me it was probably a common problem.

Is it possible that your brakes are locking up?

At any rate, if the check engine light is flashing, you need to have it towed to a repair shop for diagnosis. If it’s steady, you can drive it (carefully) to an auto parts store where they will read the trouble codes for free.

They will be in the format P####. Post the numbers here and we can further advise.

Why do you even have a vehicle ? The insurance and yearly registration would have paid for taxi service with money left over.

1 Like

We can’t know their situation. My mother has a 5 year old car with less than 4,000 miles on it. She hardly ever drives it, but she also lives out in the sticks which means she can’t hail a cab, and Uber doesn’t operate very frequently in farm country. She doesn’t need it often, but when she does, she absolutely does.

Maybe the definition of “seizes up” needs to be clarified.

Does that term simply mean that the engine is simply shutting off and will restart when that is attempted?

VOLVO-V70
To be blunt (or rude if You like), what business is it of Yours to tell anybody whether they should own/have a car or not.
You are NOT contributing to solve a problem, a car owner experience.
Ain’t that what this forum is about?
I have a car ready for the road, but I haven’t driven it for over a year. Is that a problem for You also?

I’m afraid I disagree. VOLVO_V70 has suggested an out-of-the-box solution that could actually be a very good idea if the OP lives where a service like Uber or Zipcar is available.

For Lion9car
You COULD be correct, but the OP has not indicated whether the vehicle is a “for fun” vehicle or a daily driver, which it most likely is not.
Many times the person I replied to comes up with - form my point of view - rather obnoxious answers.
Admittedly, sometimes he/she has some good answers too.

The latest issue of Consumer Reports suggests renting a van or SUV for family vacations, rather than buying one, and using a smaller sedan for the rest of the year. They explain the full financial benefits of doing that type of thing. While that situation is a bit different from your suggestion, the idea behind it is similar. Why own and insure a vehicle that isn’t used most of the time?

Because vacations are planned in advance. If I rarely drive anywhere, but my dog is having a stroke, or I’m out of beer, it’s kind of a royal pain to go through all the rigmarole of renting a car last-minute and then waiting around for the rental place to deliver it to me (especially if I live somewhere rural where Enterprise doesn’t deliver) when I could just hop in my own car and drive there.

1 Like