2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi #5 fuse has phantom drain

My 2003 Chrysler Sebring LXi has a phantom battery drain that will go completely dead within 24 hours. It’s the #5 fuse, I’ve verified. Problem is, that fuse controls all the interior functionality: interior lights, clock, delay shutoff on headlights, radio, etc. My heated driver’s seat malfunctioned (heat spiked well beyond normal to fire-hazard level) until I unplugged it under the seat. Strangely, the heated seat controls on the console will make the radio buzz if they’re accidentally on. Also had driver’s side headlight replaced shortly before the phantom drain began.

Could any of this be related? What’s your take on the battery drain–all the rest is handle-able. Oh, and all battery drain stops when I remove the #5 fuse entirely. And yes, I’ve replaced it. More than once, so it’s not the fuse itself.

Is there a connection between the heated driver’s seat and fuse #5?

Well, not obviously…although it’s also not completely clear that there’s NOT a connection. The manual says something about Canadian versions being linked to fuse 11, as I recall (the heated seats, I’m speaking of now). But it doesn’t say anything about the American versions. So there’s always been a question mark in my mind.

Fuse #5 supplies power to the body control module and every interior light in the vehicle. This includes the trunk light and the glove box light. You might jump in the trunk and have someone close the lid to make sure the trunk light goes out. For the glove box light, you can’t fit in the glove box, so remove the bulb.

Tester

I will try both this week. BTW, what precisely is the Body Control Module?

The BCM is mini preccesor that controls all lighting in the interior of the vehicle. For example, it controls the dimming of the interior lights when the vehicle is put into gear. It times out when to turn off the interior lights after you’ve left the vehicle. It turns on the interior lights when you pull on the door handle.

Here’s another thing to check. Sit outside the vehicle and observe the interior lights if you have the time. I had a vehicle come in with an overnight battery drain. And it turned out the BCM was turning on the interior lights at random times. Sometimes they would come on and turn off every thirty seconds, and other times it would be thirty minutes before they came on and turned back off.

Tester

Wow–I used the term “phantom” metaphorically. Maybe it’s more literal than that! This is certainly something I’ll “pay myself” to do instead of a mechanic. Thanks much for the info and insight and hints!

Hi johoho, I found this old post. Were you able to figure it out later? I am having exact the same issue with my 2003 Chrysler Sebring. The battery dies over night unless I pull the #5 fuse.