Interior car lights all went out at same time 2010 VW 2.5

About 4 years ago, the interior car lights wouldn’t turn off when turning off the car. I changed the fuse and it was fine. Now, the lights won’t go on. Change the same fuse again? This car has had a lot of weird issues.

The BCM may be acting up.

By the way, if the lights work, there’s nothing wrong with the fuse.

Tester

1 Like

The video talks about re-setting the BCM module. Do they go bad and have to be replaced or just re-set? Is re-setting a job that an independent garage can do or just at VW (for this car)?

When a BCM goes bad, it usually requires it be repaired or replaced.

Tester

1 Like

lol … not making fun, just a “Car Talk” chuckle about the weird failure modes that can occur w/cars. I had to replace my VW Rabbit’s fuse box b/c of this sort of weird electrical symptom. In that case it wasn’t the lighting system, the electric fuel pump was refusing to stay running. I’ve never experienced much in the way of that sort of weird electrical problems on my Ford truck or my Corolla over the years. But somehow VW’s seem to manage it … lol …

Do the lights work when you turn them on manually?

For the 2010 Golf CUBA 2.5 engine configuration, the interior lighting appears to be affected by these

• 3 fuses, 20,20, & 30 amp on fuse panel C
  • Door switch
  • Electrical system control module (more than one)
  • Driver’s door central locking control module

For example for the glove compartment light, the electrical power comes from a pin on the main electrical control module, and there’s a switch involved on the glove compartment door.

First step towards a solution, you need to discover which lights work, & which don’t. It will be nearly impossible to solve as a diyer without access to the car’s wiring diagram. Do you have that?

No, I don’t have a wiring diagram. The clue here, I believe, is that all interior lights are not working. So I’m thinking it’s some kind of overall control of the lighting that is the issue. Unfortunately, I am diagnosing this from a distance of 650 miles for my daughter so I don’t have the luxury of being at the car. I will have my daughter check the individual lighting in a little more detail.
VW manages to make everything more difficult. I have a Toyota and Mazda and their repair receipts records are minimal compared to the VW. I know what you mean.

George, I am just told that none of the interior lights work.

Seems like the first step then is to check the three main fuses. Do you know where fuse pane C is located?