2003 Chevrolet S-10 frame swap

I need to do a Frame swap. What frames (years/models) match the 2003 Chevy S10 PU ?

I really wonder if you have any idea what a monumental endeavor that is. It would make more sense to replace the truck . The other thing is to contact a collision repair shop and you will probably pass out when you hear the cost.

I have already spoken with the auto body repair shop they are the one that suggested doing the frame swap the frame should not cost more than 400 the labor would be 2200 if I had them do it the task itself is only doing the labor the truck has 60,000 miles on it it is well worth repairing have a good day

They can’t find a frame for you?

No suggested going to junk yard or place like that

The junkyard has a Hollander Exchange manual that tells you which frames are common across years. Start calling around to various junkyards but don’t get too disappointed if you can’t locate one. Good years rarely keep anything beyond 10 years and the last S10 was a 2004 model, or 14 years ago.

Still built in Brazil but good luck getting one shipped from there.

A salvage is going to strip a truck down and sell a frame for 400 bucks? Must be willing to work cheap or something.

Another possibility is to check your local library if the boneyard is not too cooperative. Many libraries carry the Hollander Interchange mentioned by Mustangman. At least the ones around here do.

That’s the part of the equation you question? :slight_smile:

I’m having problems believing that a shop will transfer EVERYTHING over to a bare frame for 2200 bucks.
2200 bucks might pay the taxes on the bill by the time the job is done.

And why does a nice truck with only 60,000 miles need a new frame?

I also doubt this frame exchange could be done for 2200.00 ( cost over run anyone ) . The frame shop did not want to locate a frame apparently so they just threw out a number so the person would go away .

I used to think a frame swap on a pickup would be an uneconomical solution to any problem, but then Toyota came along and issued a frame-replacement recall for a series of their pickup trucks. I walked through a Toyota dealer parking lot and they had stacks of new frames in preparation for the recall, along with some rotted ones for recycling. Apparently, if you have the facilities, access to the technical information, expertise, and tools, it isn’t as cost-prohibitive as I thought.

You left out ‘easy access to a good-quality replacement frame’. That, to me, is a MAJOR stumbling block here.

Good point. That one’s a toughie.

wheeler dealers used to do frame swaps. i recall 2 different cars they did it on. once the box is off it looks like an easier job. all the late rod shows on tv now put in new frames. fatman and so on. they did a 94 impala last yr that was sort of interesting.

I saw them do it on a Morgan and a TVR. They said both were difficult and justified only because they were collectors cars. That is, a well sorted example was worth so much that frame replacement was economically feasible.

I was at the old Salem NH Toyota dealership which they now use for storage, and there’s still a pile of new frames in the back.

Possibly. But Toyota was FORCED to change out the frames. And it becomes easier when you’ve done a few.

I still think this is cost prohibitive for a 15yo vehicle.

A s10 pickup that might be worth $4k? and a frame swap is $3k? is it now worth $7k? nope. still worth $4k. is it like a $5k car that needs a new motor for $4k. it might be worth $6k now that it has a new motor. it ran ok with the original motor and was worth 5k. a new motor might make you feel good but it probably wont increase the value much.

I see your point.

That’s true, and countless restorations use replacement frames, but they’re not cheap. It wouldn’t be worth it on a 15 year old S-10.

Ten years ago the technician working next to me replaced truck frames for our body shop, the jobs usually paid 40 hours of labor and it took him about 2 1/2 days to complete each.

Next year when the warranty enhancement for frame rust/replacement expires on the 2005 Toyota trucks some of those trucks will be 14 1/2 years old.

The subject of the Toyota frames rotting intrigues me. The frame on my '79 rotted out after 11 years, totally through on both sides. I then bought an '89 Toyota pickup, and after some 17-18 years and 338,000 miles the frame remained in excellent condition. Both extremely similar trucks, same driver, same commute, same maintenance, neither had ever been garaged, absolutely no difference whatsoever in any detail of what the two trucks were subjected to… And, yet, the first rotted out and the second didn’t rot at all. I was convinced that Toyota had solved the problem. Then, some years later, serious frame rot problems reappeared on small Toyota pickups.

I can only wildly guess that they had a vendor problem, changed vendors, and some years later went back to the same problem vendor… driven perhaps by cost. But it’s only a wild guess. I truely wish I knew what actually happened. Toyota knows for certain, but that kind of information will never see the light of day.

1 Like

Instead of replacing the frame, find an automotive welding shop. They can probably fix up the frame for a lot less than $2,200

1 Like