2003 Caravan won't crank no start

That is a bad sign, the check engine light should come on when the ignition is on and the engine not running, the PCM may be dead.

Does it connect the the PCM? Can you read live data?

There isn’t one to test. The range sensor detects the gear position, the PCM/TCM monitors the range sensor so if there is a failure it is possible for a fault code to set. Does the shift lever position light up correctly in the instrument cluster for each gear?

The starter relay is controlled by the PCM based on the range sensor input and start request signal from the ignition switch.

You have some testing to perform but my feeling is that the PCM failed, I have replaced a few on 2003 Grand Caravans.

Nevada,
The check engine light comes on when I turn the key on and then goes out like the other lights in dash.
The shift lever position lights up correctly in the instrument cluster for each gear.

Okay, No need to worry about Neutral switch. So I need to run a test for primary circuit, Starter relay #86 for 12 volts?

Thank you sir for a reply.

1 Like

The electrical logic for the fuel pump sets a timer for about a half minute to run the fuel pump before you start the engine. When the engine starts the signal from the ECM puts power to the fuel pump through a relay that powers the fuel pump. the fact that the car ran for a short time then failed indicates the timer function is working the fuel pump, but the normal hold in relay is bad or not triggered. First step would be to test the fuel pump relays, The fail to crank is the usual check the charge state of the battery and the terminals at the battery. Clean them with a proper battery terminal service. My 2003 Chrysleritis van battery would go dead in a couple weeks if I didn’t drive it so I would have to drive it, also the wires to the fuel injectors were burned up from heat stress from exhaust pipe the fuel injector wiring harness being installed to close to the exhaust piping–had to have them replaced. Carfax revealed several previous owners had been unsuccessfully chasing rentability problems!!! Good luck.

I would hope that after 10 months the person has gotten their vehicle started.

2 Likes

Oops I didn’t notice now old the thread was.

Hello,
The Van is now still running great. I had to get a used ECM.
:slightly_smiling_face:

That’s great good to hear! I am selling my old 2003 Town and Country Mobility Van to another needy person stricken with power wheelchair needs.