2003 Audi A4 V6 Quattro, 92000 miles

I’m told the torque converter needs to be replaced; car has been serviced regularly & according to owner’s manual. Curious about what reasonable life expectancy is for the converter, and $3800 seems a litle steep, even though I’ve read it is a bear to replace in the V6. General question is there anyplace where this type of info is available? Knowing nothing about it, I doubt the car mfrs are very open with this.

Very strange indeed. Usually the transmission itself (the gears, valves) fail long before the torque converter packs it in.

A good indepenent transmsission shop would give you more answere. Stay away from a chain; they will only put a new or rebuilt one in without any explanation other than “It’s shot”.

The car has been serviced regularly?
Does that include the transmission?

I ask because transmission failure at around 90k to 110k is fairly common when an automatic transmission’s fluid and filter are not changed every 3 yrs/30k miles, whichever comes first. If you have been servicing the transmission on that schedule, then I have to say that your experience is somewhat unusual, not just on an Audi but on virtually any make of car (except for Hondas of the 2000-03 vintage where transmission failure is not unusual).

I suspect that the estimate for $3,800 came from the dealership. I would suggest that you seek an independent transmission shop that has been in business for at least 3 years. More than likely, they will be able to give you a much lower quote than $3,800. Audis do have the reputation of being difficult to repair, due to poor access to many components, but even with that in mind, the estimate that you were given seems high to me.

Get a second opinion from a good transmission shop (no chains). The estimate is very high in my opinion.