2002 Volkswagen Jetta, Driver's Door Sensor Malfunction

Hi there everyone! Got a question that hopefully I can get some help on!

I have a 2002 Jetta, and all in all, it’s in awesome condition. The only thing that’s giving me a hassle is this door sensor!

I live in southern Arizona, and it’s rare that we have temperatures below freezing. However, we had actual snow, that stuck and iced over our roads last winter. That day, my fiance had the driver’s door open while he tried to scrape the windshield. When he was done and he tried to close the door, it seemed like the latch had stuck-- he finally ended up having to force it really hard to get the door to close and latch. It probably took about 5-6 minutes of slamming to get it to work.

Ever since then, the door sensor hasn’t worked correctly. We’ll be driving along, and suddenly the car will think that the driver’s door is open, and will ding at us for a couple of minutes before it gets tired of it and stops. Or, the door will close enough for the alarm to be turned on, and then decide it’s not closed, and set off the alarm.

I’m hoping someone can give me an idea of what repairing this will entail, and about how much it’ll cost us. I really appreciate it!

Likely it needs an adjustment. Either the sensor or more likely the latch. I can’t remember, but I seem to recall that they are in the same assembly on your car.

Any idea on how much that should run me, or better yet, can we do it ourselves?

Did you ever hear back about this? I am having the exact same problem and I have a 02 VW jetta 1.8 turbo. Will I have to replace the entire door or just the latch? My husband is good with cars and we’re hoping its an easy fix. Any advice would be SO appreciated!

I have the same issue with my 2002 GLS, you will have to take off the door panel, and access the latch. The sensor is in the latch, I have been told by a vw mechanic that this is about a $300 dollar job