2002 Toyota Camry V6: Stall when stopping

Replaced the EFI temperature switch. No codes in the memory.

Let us know if the replacement EFI temperature gadget helped or not.

@GeorgeSanJose , haven’t had any problems so far after the replacement. Hoping that this is it.

Thanks for the update. I’m sure we’ll hear from you if the problem comes back.

The problem happened again last week. So, it is not the EFI temperature switch.
Toyota claims that they don’t know about this issue & that this is unique to my car.
The only thing that they can think of is replacing the computer, which is $14k+labor charges as told by the dealer.

I guess if more people with this issue reported it to Toyota Corporate, they may take cognizance of this issue.

I hope you meant $1400.00 not $14000.00 plus labor.

hmmm … well, I was doubtful about the ECTS diagnosis. Have you asked your shop about what Nevada postulated, a variable valve timing problem? That function can be problematic, especially if the oil changes are ever deferred, or something different from the recommended oil has been used.

With no diagnostic codes to go on, besides the VVT issue, you pretty much have to go to the basics. Spark, fuel pressure, timing, compression. I wouldn’t be inclined to replace the computer unless a problem with one of those had been independently verified.

The fact that there are no codes often means it is a bad ground. You might look into that too. I had this happen and the car barely got spark and barely ran. It smelled like gas and had a really nasty smell like an old two stroke boat motor that had just been started once it started to fire. The problem was most common on cold damp mornings on first startup. I fixed the grounds and the situation went away.

Also, how full is the gas tank when this happens? See if there is any pattern such as more common problems when half full or less. I would be interested in seeing if you have spark or any fuel pressure during the times it won’t restart. Check for that and maybe loan a tool a gauge and hope it happens again soon.

Hi Everyone. I am facing same issue with my Canmy 2002. Patten is same. I am from Toronto and experience the issue only in winter. During Summer I didn’t face the problem so I thought problem is resolved. However Since November 2015 it stall sometimes on red lights. It starts immediately with the next ignition. My mechanic suggested to replace temperature sensor so I replaced. Problem is still same. So following are my observations

1. Only in winter time
  2. Happened when it is driven by 30Kms
    3)Provide some jerks like looking for Gas/ oxygen
  3. Started immediately and I can smell the gas after the start

I did not read through the entire entry, but did you clean the IAC valve.

@Sid Jaf It is always best to start your own thread instead of adding to one that is inactive. You will receive better answers that way.

@“VOLVO V70” , the dealership did add the additional 0 in their quote. :smile:

Thanks @GeorgeSanJose for the tips. I’ll look into them.

@cwatkin , I haven’t noticed any such pattern. Will continue to keep an eye. Car’s been running fine so far since the last occurence.

@knfenimore , yes did try cleaning the valve.

@“Sid Jaf” , please do post a link to your new thread if you open one.

I have started a new thread

http://community.cartalk.com/discussion/2307043/camry-2002-stalls-when-stop-during-winter?new=1

@Yosemite recently, got a check engine light came on & it turned out to be the cam sensor. Per the mechanic, this could have been the earlier problem, though I haven’t seen this problem now for over a year.

deleted by poster

What does this mean? The $14k is the quote?

@BillRussell Yes. :slight_smile: Very disappointing response from Toyota.