2002 Subaru Outback bumping at start

I have a 2002 Subaru Outback with 5 speed tranny, when I go to get moving the car bounces kinda like the clutch is getting disengaged too fast but it usually gets going just fine, this doesn’t happen as bad when I accelerate slowly, when I disengage the clutch and get going it kinda lurches a few times. No matter the combo of clutch and gas I can’t seem to get it to stop. This happens when I start in 1st and second gear, and a lot of the time if I accelerate quickly it will smell like burning rubber. Any ideas on how to fix this, or what it is?

Update: So it seems like it might be some sort of differential problem because the clutch, or gear or anything seems to have no effect on the problem

There may be a problem within the drive train system. It sounds like something is binding in it. I suggest you get this looked at by someone as soon as you can. Hopefully nothing has gotten damaged badly.

To me it sounds like the clutch is going. A “clutch” kit includes the throwout bearing and the pressure plate assembly. The bouncing, the lurching, and especially the burning rubber smell when the accelerator is pushed hard are all normal characteristics of a need for a clutch job.

Any chance you replace just 1 tire recently?

TSM brings up a very good point about a worn clutch plate. I hadn’t thought about that but it does sound like it may very well be the case here. Especially considering the burning smell that was noticed.