2002 Subaru Impreza Sedan WRX - Engine getting louder

My engine bay sounds louder than normal. Not sure how to describe it. It’s like a higher pitched noise that sounds like squeaky bearings but I’m not sure what it would be.

Best bet have your regular mechanic listen to it and diagnose the problem/source of the noise. Too many possible causes and sources to make a guess.

2 Likes

One guess would be one of the pulleys driven through the fan belt. (Forgive the antiquated term).

+1
My first suspect would also be a bad idler pulley, but as Purebred stated, there are other possibilities, and all we can do from afar is to speculate.

One way to identify the squeak is to undo the drive belt to each belt-driven accessory, one by one. The engine can be safely run briefly this way.

Resist the urge to lean in and listen - hair or clothes can get pulled in and it’s serious what that can do.

2 Likes

From my childhood, I recall a particularly awful incident that took place when a man wearing a necktie leaned over his fan belt while the engine was running. Not pretty…
:grimacing:

For some reason I watch videos from subi performance in Germany. Yes the motors are extremely well machined and assembled. But I can’t figure out how they have 400 hp, 600hp and 800 hp 2.0 L motors. Big ole turbos?
Truth be told, 99% of the videos are identical.