2002 Nissan Pathfinder - Good vintage?

Is this a good year for a Pathfinder?

Try this instead . . .

What’s wrong with your 2002 Pathfinder? . . . tell us and we’ll try to help you

And it goes without saying . . . have any used car inspected before you buy

The inspector should have absolutely no relationship to the seller

1 Like

Don’t know about a good year for Pathfinder but was a good year for wine.

We have a partner site that lists complaints by onwers by year make and model. That year looks pretty clean. You can view it here. You may also want to look back at a Consumer Reports reliability guide (online). The Pathfinder in 2002 was a body-on-frame SUV. It has changed dramatically over the past 17 model years. My gut feel is that people loved those old rugged Pathfinders.

It’s actually unibody. I thought it was body-on-frame as well until I started selling them.

https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/25/nissan-recalls-196000-pathfinder-and-infiniti-qx4s-for-rust-condition/

Nissan is recalling almost 196,000 Pathfinder and Infiniti QX-4 S.U.V.’s because corrosion can cause part of the front suspension to collapse, the automaker has informed the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

The affected model years are 1996-2004 for the Pathfinder and 1997–2003 for the QX4.

I think Consumer Reports auto reliability ratings only go back 10 years . . . ?

Yes, but public libraries usually have back issues. So that’s always an option. What owners were saying about the reliability of their 10 year old 2002 Pathfinder can still be found in CR’s 2012 issue.

I don’t recall many complaints about that model here, but OP can use the forum search feature to see for themselves. Click on the icon upper right that looks like a magnifying glass.