2002 Honda Odyssey 316K miles - Timing Belt service

I know I’m due (overdue) for a timing belt on my 2002 Honda Odyssey with 316K+ miles.
I’d like to go in armed with the facts (not able to do this maintenance myself)

What’s in the Timing Belt Kit?
Besides the Water Pump, what else will need to be replaced?
I think there are some seals that could/should be replaced at the same time. Today there are no oil or other fluid leaks. Should I get this done too? What seals & how many?
If anybody knows places / prices in South Florida please recommend.

Thanks in advance!
dave

It is supposed to be done every 105k miles (or 60k miles for severe service duty). So this should be the third timing belt replacement. If through some miracle this it’s still on it’s first timing belt, I recommend you go out and buy a lottery ticket. Anyway, typically you replace the water pump, and the tensioner, it wouldn’t be a bad idea to replace the idler pulley as well. The kits generally run about $200 or so, but a shop will mark that up around $350ish, Labor will run several hours, at anywhere from $90-$150 depending on where you go, with the dealership being the most expensive option most of the time. At 316k miles there are probably other things on this vehicle that need attention, but you’re going to have to have to see what the mechanic recommends.

4 Likes

+1 to all of FoDaddy’s recommendations!

1 Like

Honda wants $1000, local shops around $800, but were recommending replacing the crank & cam seals while they are that close.
I’m sure the timing belt was done at least 1x.
At 316K+ I have to decide if I want to continue to maintain or look for another ride. I’m leaning towards getting it done as I’ve kept up with all the standard maintenance, tires & brakes good, and I use the van for my business (I’m a puppeteer and haul a bunch of stuff).
The other things that I’m ignoring right now are the sliding door handle on the passenger side, and the hoses for the windshield spray have rotted away. (oh, and there’s a short somewhere so the passenger front blinker doesn’t work if the lights are on)

And thanks for your swift reply!

I really hope that includes changing the trans fluid and filter.
At this point, you are due for that service for about 10th time.
:thinking:

1 Like

It seems you already have been given good advice by the shops you have talked to . As for the washer hoses that should be an easy fix by yourself . Just take a piece of the hose to a parts store and get the same size. I would let the shop that recommends the seals also do the work . The worst thing is that you sell it later for what you spent .

1 Like

Yes, and the transmission on this model had a factory recall, so it’s newer than the engine. We bought the car new and it has been good to us!

Do the oil seals as well if you plan on keeping this van for another couple of years or longer. Even if you sell it soon it is a selling point for a prospective buyer. Replace the coolant since it has to be drained to do the water pump. You are only paying for the coolant, labor is already included when the coolant is drained.

2 Likes

:+1:

Good to hear!

Who uses turn signals in Florida…

1 Like

Law of averages. You got the van with the rare good trans and xtra good timing belt.

Regarding the coolant, they will probably ask if I need the system power flushed (I’m guessing). Is this a thing that needs doing? Are there benefits or are there dangers? Thanks in advance!

On my first Odyssey, I replaced the washer fluid tubing myself…It’s just 1/4" tubing you can get at a hardware store by the foot.

I’d do the timing belt for the least expensive price. I would not waste money on things not leaking as EVERYTHING not he car likely could use it at this point. Good luck.

There is no value increase doing it at all. This vehicle has no real value unf at 17 years old and 316k miles.

Just checking in to say thanks for all the advice. I had to make decisions on a partly sentimental feeling (stupid I know) and partly practical.
I went with the garage that had the best online reviews.
In the end I spent the extra to have the seals changed while everything was easily reached. So far, no leaks.
The only extra they found was a cracked motor mount, and I had that replaced too.
Up over 319K miles now and I feel more confident driving down the road that the belt will not fail suddenly and turn the engine into junk. That piece of mind is worth a little extra to me.
My next car adventure will be to get a vehicle for my daughter (and all those associated costs)!

Why not treat yourself to a newer vehicle and let the daughter drive this one.

1 Like

When you are curious what all comes in a kit like that sometimes you can glean some good info by surfing over to rockauto.com and typing in the make/model/year and something like “timing belt kit” in the search box. They usually have some good photos in the selections which shows what comes with that sort of kit.