2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT 4.7

First of hello everyone!. I’m new to this sight and desperately need help! Let me first say that I am no where close to being mechanically savvy! I learn as I go. My grandfather, father, and brother were and are mechanics in the military, and I was a medic in the AF. So if you need medical assistance I could probably point you in the right direction!
Now on to my problem. I have 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 with the 4.7 that just died on me on the way home late one night, all the gauges worked except the gas gauge which dropped to empty. I let it sit overnight and the next morning before I had it towed to my house I put the key in it and the gas gauge came up to a little over half a tank and it fired right up. I drove it exactly .5 miles before it died again. The engine will turn over but it doesn’t seem to be getting gas. The gas gauge is reading empty even though I know there’s over a half tank in it. (I put gas in it on the way to work). So far I’ve changed the fuel pump and crank sensor with zero results. I had a mechanic plug in the computer tester and the code he got was the TCM module, so I changed that also. Still nothing. I’m at my wits end and deer season is coming up! Any and all advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, -Bill-.

Get a can of starting fluid (ether) and spray a few second burst into the air intake. Jf it starts briefly, you have a fuel delivery problem. If not, probably no spark. You can cycle the key on and off three times, leaving it on and a light or symbol on your dash should flash on and off giving you a 2 digit code. Look up that code online and it should point you to the faulty system.

Thanks oltimer, but I tried both of those things this morning. I couldn’t get the engine code to appear by cycling it.

The problem might be with the distributor pick-up coil.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1006073&cc=1384736

If the computer doesn’t see the PIP (profile ignition pick-up) signal from the coil, the engine will shut down and not start.

Tester