2002 Chevy Prism problem with the fan

I drive a 2002 Prism (really a Toyota Corolla with Chevy stickers). The fan will only work on full blast. There is nothing wrong with the heater or a/c, just the fan. Chevy gave me an owner’s manual that isn’t correct because the picture of the fuse box, isn’t my fuse box.

What is wrong with my fan?

The problem is with the speed control resistor panel. The resistors and protector are mounted on a panel that is screwed to the air duct for cooling the resistors. You should be able to follow the wires back from the blower motor, they will tie to the panel. Remove the panel and get a replacement unit. The panel will have a removeable wire connector on it.

Cougar is right, but I will add that it is possible that the fan motor may be going bad and that may be the reason the resistors burned out. I would suggest just replacing the resistors (relatively easy and cheap) and if it happens a gain soon, replace the resistors and motor.

That’s a good point by JEM. It would be a good thing to have the blower motor current checked after the repair and see if there is an excessive current draw. The current could be measured at the fuse or with a clamp on probe.

THANKS! =) Now, I will know what to say when I bring it in.

Same thing happened to my 98. Thanks guys!