2002 Accord TCS problem

On cold mornings the TCS light comes on and the car will only move in reverse, we can put the selector in Drive but the car wont move until it warms up for 10-15 minutes and then it doesn’t happen again until the next cold morning. Dealer has reset computer codes and can’t explain what causes this problem.

How about getting the codes for us? That CEL (check engine light) is just a kid in class waving her hand trying to get you attention because she has the answer. You need to have the codes read. Some places will read them for FREE. Try Autozone or Advanced Auto Parts. Get the exact code (like P0123) not just their translation into English and post it back here.

There should be no link between the check engine light and your problem, which definitely sounds like one of three things; low transmission fluid level, a dirty transmission screen (corresponding with old, worn out and dirty transmission fluid that might also be low), or a just about shot transmission. I would hope for the first two but expect the third. Have the fluid replaced and the screen changed first and see what happens.

Considering there should be no engine code associated with a dying or even dead tranny, follow Mr. Meehan’s advise and find out what the engine code is about.

Thanks for your input but no problems with “check engine light,” problem is with “TCS” (traction control system) light. I’ll look for the paperwork I got from the dealer and see if they listed any codes when they ran the scan.

The dealer just did a full transmission service, not just a drain and fill and found no problems at all with it. Once the car warms up on those cold mornings (60 or below, cold for South Texas) it drives like new. Also the “Check Engine” light does not come on, it’s the “TCS” (traction control system) light that comes on when the problem is present and as soon as it goes off, after about 12 minutes of warming up, the car drives perfectly until the next cold morning. I’m looking for the paperwork I got from dealer to see if it listed any engine codes and will post if there are any.

Update: Replaced computer and no more issues. Not a cheap fix ($500).